Thailand Liveaboard MV Explorer from Sea Dragon Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossandmaureen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My buddy and I are looking at booking this liveaboard in 2024. This boat is of particular interest in that it does offer several 14 day/13 night trips and, given the distance from the west coast of Canada, we want to maximize our diving. Any thoughts or reviews? I did do a search and could not locate any. Any other comments or suggestions? How is the diving in April or May?

Thanks in advance

April should be fine but by May you may hit the start of the monsoon season (but early part so should be fine). As it sounds like a both North and South Andaman cruise, at some point in May (around the middle) the Similans/Surin and Tarutao marine parks close. Sorry but no info on this boat...the Junk/Phinisi, which also do north/south cruises is a middle priced comfortable boats, with good food.

@rossandmaureen

LoB to Similan(including Surin) for sure but move to Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe afterward. Great diving there. There is NOT much point to dive those sites between Phuket and Koh Phi Phi(waste of money and time for me).
Sea Dragon is based in Khao Lak so obviously @JonnieB knows nothing about it!

MV Explorer takes only 16 divers while MV Andaman takes 20. I know which one I would prefer.

Two outstanding sites:
Hi Daeng and Hin Muang.
Koh Haa is also very very good.

My buddy and I are looking at booking this liveaboard in 2024. This boat is of particular interest in that it does offer several 14 day/13 night trips and, given the distance from the west coast of Canada, we want to maximize our diving. Any thoughts or reviews? I did do a search and could not locate any. Any other comments or suggestions? How is the diving in April or May?

Thanks in advance
Looks a decent boat and not a cattle boat, like some.

Would be interesting to know what boat it was prior to the refurb and how experenced the crew is

I have no idea about the transformation but, from the photos I have seen, it appears to be a decent layout consistent with many other liveaboards. I do think it is quite basic but the reviews range from excellent to very good with only a minimal number of negative reviews. Comments about the crew's knowledge are very positive. Some noted small cabins but you only need those for sleeping.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom