Question Thailand Liveaboard suggestions (March/2025)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rafael Moreira

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm planning to go to Thailand for the first time in March 2025. I've been looking through related posts but haven't been able to find updated advice regarding the best liveaboards based on your experiences.

What itinerary should I consider? It seems like Similan Island is a good spot. Most importantly, what are the places that I should avoid for diving?

I appreciate your time in answering my questions

Big Blue have a fabulous boat and crew for the similians, but already is pretty full this season

Despite what some predicatble naysayer will say, no where really to avoid and you can have great dives out of Phuket, Koh Lanta, Phi Phi, Khao Lak, Koh Lipe, Koh Chang and Koh Tao. But I would try and do a livebaord on one of the good boats as starter, smiling seahorse and the Junk are also highly recommended.

Koh Samui is marginal but most of Thailand is good.

We are doing the Phinisi "Best of Thailand" (i.e. north and south) in March 2024. The Phinisi and the Junk are sister ships.
Will report post trip.

We are doing the Phinisi "Best of Thailand" (i.e. north and south) in March 2024. The Phinisi and the Junk are sister ships.
Will report post trip.
Cool. Let us know what you think of the safety aspects especially considering it's a wooden boat. It does appear to have decent exit options from the lower deck staterooms.

I was on the Manta Queen 8 in 2019 and the South Siam (Somboon 3) in 2018, both in the Similans. I'd rate them as adequate; the trip was definitely worth doing, but the boats were nothing special. I knew this when I booked, but it came down to timing and availability.

To the OP, unless something has changed since COVID, liveaboard bookings are like the old days of travel agents in the US with Thai dive shops (or liveaboard.com) acting as agents. The agent get a commission from the operator if they book it and even if you book directly with the operator, you still get the same price.

For this reason, your might as well talk to a local shop that knows all the boats and can help you match your skills/desires with an appropriate op. I was very happy dealing with @stevenl of Welcome to Phuket dash Scuba, your personal Phuket divecenter and diving school .

The main exception that didn't take bookings from unaffiliated shops was The Junque/Phinisi. I don't know if this is still the case, but if it is you'll want to evaluate them separately.

I was on the Manta Queen 8 in 2019 and the South Siam (Somboon 3) in 2018, both in the Similans. I'd rate them as adequate; the trip was definitely worth doing, but the boats were nothing special. I knew this when I booked, but it came down to timing and availability.

To the OP, unless something has changed since COVID, liveaboard bookings are like the old days of travel agents in the US with Thai dive shops (or liveaboard.com) acting as agents. The agent get a commission from the operator if they book it and even if you book directly with the operator, you still get the same price.

For this reason, your might as well talk to a local shop that knows all the boats and can help you match your skills/desires with an appropriate op. I was very happy dealing with @stevenl of Welcome to Phuket dash Scuba, your personal Phuket divecenter and diving school .

The main exception that didn't take bookings from unaffiliated shops was The Junque/Phinisi. I don't know if this is still the case, but if it is you'll want to evaluate them separately.

Big blue is direct booking and boat is very good

Pirate divers in Khao lak are also a good source of independent advice, they introduced me to Steve Boot who owns big blue

Big blue is direct booking and boat is very good

Pirate divers in Khao lak are also a good source of independent advice, they introduced me to Steve Boot who owns big blue
You can direct book with almost anyone. My point was that it doesn't get you a discount over an agency booking. Again, this was how it was pre-COVID, it's certainly possible things have changed.

@Rafael Moreira
LoB to Similan is a must.
Hin Deang/Muang are two very good sites but getting there even from Koh Lanta takes time.
If you have time after the LoB to Similan and still interested in diving then these two sites won't disappoint you. Koh Haa is also very good.
The Junk has been around very long time.
Both Phinisi and Smiling Seahorse has trip covering North and South Andaman. But all the sites down south can be dived as day trip including Hin Deang/Muang.
I have stopped diving out from Phuket as day trip because Koh Lanta and Koh Lipe are so much better.
Thailand is the only country in SE Asia where tourist would not have any issue to travel around. The infra structure is very well developed and the cost is low. All you need is a bit of inclination to explore but the reward is immense.

Back
Top Bottom