The assimilation begins... Resistance seems futile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

makes sense, re: changing hands with the light. Most of the pics in the book, where the light is on the left are shown in the OOG-donation context.

I'll never use a Canister light - I'll likely use the weight pocket or the junn pocket Sea Jay was talking about.

I may come up with something else - I have the large DUI pockets on my 50/50 - all of my safety gear and a bag of chips fit in those things. The last thing I need is more storage.

Regarding the breakaway - cool. Like the idea.

Sounds like the book is just the text (or maybe part of it) for a DIR-F class...where a lot of the stuff is explained and demonstrated further.

K

PS: watching some lame HBO movie in my room. Utterly unwatchable movie - but Heather Graham is smokin'...in a stick insect sort of way

detroit diver once bubbled...
Sorry, the light head is worn on your left hand because if you have to donate a reg in an OOG situation, it won't blind the receiver. Certainly you can temporarily switch it if needed.

Part of the pre-dive "ritual" is doing an S-drill which will show if you have hoses/cords crossed.

That's a very good point. I have personally seen it done both ways, but always preferred right hand as stated. During an OOA drill, I normally just switch hands. But that DOES take a few more precious moments... Something for me to consider.

Quick note regarding the lighthead - it will have a bolt snap tied onto it as well. Until recently I had been clipping this off to my right shoulder d-ring, but have found it's actually easier to clip off to the left shoulder d-ring - just make sure you do this before wrapping the long hose, and with the light held on the left hand, the cord does not interfere with the long hose during either light use, or long hose deployment. You can unclip and reclip the light without having to worry about the cord fouling the ability to quickly deploy the long hose.

If anyone has a better way of doing it please share.

Mo2vation once bubbled...

PS: watching some lame HBO movie in my room. Utterly unwatchable movie - but Heather Graham is smokin'...in a stick insect sort of way

Kind of like me watching Shania Twain last nite at the Super Bowl. I didnt' hear a word she sang! Oh gosh, I might have to start listening to country music. Or just watching it with the sound turned off.....:whoa:

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Quick note regarding the lighthead - it will have a bolt snap tied onto it as well. Until recently I had been clipping this off to my right shoulder d-ring, but have found it's actually easier to clip off to the left shoulder d-ring - just make sure you do this before wrapping the long hose, and with the light held on the left hand, the cord does not interfere with the long hose during either light use, or long hose deployment. You can unclip and reclip the light without having to worry about the cord fouling the ability to quickly deploy the long hose.

If anyone has a better way of doing it please share.
The way we have always done it is to clip the lighthead on the right side. When I deploy the light, I unclip the lighthead, pass it under the long hose across my chest to my left hand, grasp the goodman handle, and then turn the light on with my right hand. To check spg, "thumb" the goodman handle with the right thumb to free the left hand and check your gas. Switch back when done. To stow the light, I turn it off, pass it back under the long hose to my right hand, clip it off, and then stow the excess cord in my waistband. The key here, as already mentioned, is to avoid trapping the long hose with the light cord which could be fatal to your buddy in an OOG situation.

A few times doing that and I do it the same way everytime...muscle memory..

I'm still having a hard time coming up with a reason as to why having the cannister on the right side, and the light head on the left is a better configuration. I would think that keeping the entire apparatus on the right side would be simpler to keep in order, and less-likely to get in the way of the rest of your rig...

Matt

xoomboy once bubbled...
I'm still having a hard time coming up with a reason as to why having the cannister on the right side, and the light head on the left is a better configuration. I would think that keeping the entire apparatus on the right side would be simpler to keep in order, and less-likely to get in the way of the rest of your rig...

Matt
Think about it...your goodman is on your right hand and you reach up, grab your hose, twist your wrist in proper fashion keeping mouthpiece down to prevent free-flow, and donate. Do it right now (with no gear) sitting there...your lighthead will be right in your buddy's face....and what if you have an 18 watt HID? :eek:

(tries doing it with his own hands)

Ah, makes good sense, yes :)

So, why not swap the configuration of the canister and the stage bottles to keep the wire from crossing the body? To keep from interfering with the SPG?

Matt

...it is to keep the right hand free to scooter..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom