The Atlantic 12 Degrees warmer this year

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ahhh it was 7 degrees and on NBC not ABC. What they are saying is we have the same set up as we did for the hurricane of 1938.

Temperatures and past cycles
The current storm cycle and above-normal water temperatures in the Atlantic are reminiscent of the pattern that produced the 1938 hurricane that struck Long Island and Providence, R.I., killing 600 people, AccuWeather said. Several Northeast hurricanes followed over the next 16 years.

“Because a hurricane of this magnitude has not made landfall in the Northeastern U.S. in nearly 60 years, few Americans are even aware that hurricanes can and do directly impact this part of the country,” the report said.

Warm water is the fuel for hurricanes, and surface temperatures off the mid-Atlantic have been up to 7 degrees warmer than normal this winter, Ken Reeves, senior meteorologist at AccuWeather, told MSNBC.com.

Thank you for the report, and if you are interested the New England Aquarium will have a Couple lectures on this topic.

In my case i been in three hurricanes already, the last one the worst (Wilma while visiting my family in Cancun) and let me tell you is not fun at all. One thing mention here is since the north east is been free of big storms in a long time, we may not be prepare to deal with the problem, i think will be a good idea to check if our cities are ready to deal with it or even aware of all this changes?

Here is the info about the lecture.
Oceans & Climate

May 16: Hurricanes and Climate
Dr. Kerry Emanuel, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Tropical storms may be growing in overall intensity due to human-induced global warming, according to a new study by leading hurricane researcher Kerry Emanuel. Dr. Emanuel’s latest research, published in Nature Magazine, shows a startling global increase in hurricane strength and duration, which he correlates to rising sea temperatures linked to global warming. Dr. Emanuel looked comprehensively at storm data since the mid-1970s and concluded that the destructive power of hurricanes has nearly doubled over the past three decades at least partially because of human-induced global warming.

Dr. Emanuel is a professor of atmospheric science at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he has been on the faculty since 1981, after spending three years as a faculty member at UCLA. Professor Emanuel's research interests focus on tropical meteorology and climate, with a specialty in hurricane physics. His interests also include cumulus convection, and advanced methods of sampling the atmosphere in aid of numerical weather prediction. He is the author or co-author of over 100 peer-reviewed scientific papers, and two books, including Divine Wind: The History and Science of Hurricanes, recently released by Oxford University Press and aimed at a general audience.

May 22: The Reality of New England Hurricanes
Glenn Field, meteorologist for the National Weather Service
New England hurricanes are very different from the kind of hurricanes that strike Florida or the Caribbean. You will learn why the structure is different and thus, how our safety and preparedness rules are different in some ways. People remember Hurricane Gloria in 1985 and Hurricane Bob in 1991...and we think those were 'real' hurricanes. However, this sense of reality is warped, since it has now been 52 years since the last major hurricanes (Carol and Edna) struck New England. Could a 25 foot storm surge hit New England? This presentation will take you back to the days of the 1938 Hurricane, Connie, Diane, Carol, etc. and show what a hurricane really can do! We will also discuss how you can receive the latest weather information from the National Weather Service in Taunton, MA.

Glenn Field has been the Warning Coordination Meteorologist (WCM) for the National Weather Service (NWS) Forecast Office in Taunton, MA since October, 1993, and is responsible for ensuring that customers of weather forecasts and warnings are able to receive the products and that they understand what they mean. Glenn also works with towns to enable them to become "StormReady," another National Weather Service community preparedness program.

Glenn holds a M.S. Degree in Meteorology from the University of Wisconsin - Madison, where he also received his B.S. in both Meteorology and Economics (the 2 sciences that one can’t predict, he jokes.)

Wow the coldest it got this year here on Okinawa was 68 but right now it's 72 I must be lucky....

I remember reading that during one of the hurricanes in the late 1800s, the Customs House in Boston was 3 feet deep in water.

With All Due Respect to the "Learned Climetologists and Meteorologisist"...

(I am 100 % sure I just mis-spelled that but I've just worked my 3rd 12 hour overnight shift since coming back from 2 weeks in Italy and my body clock is so screwed up it's frightening and my brain is working on about 4 functional synapses right now and I ain't gonna go look it up...)

Shut the ******* up already!

Stop standing there, wringing your hands and predicting doom. Guess what, jackass? If you look down on a body lying in a bed and predict, "Doesn't look good, I'll bet he'll be dead by morning," occasionally you'll be right. If you look up at the sky and say, "Looks like rain," ocasionally you'll be right. If you say, I bet it's gonna be 'Head's' ocassionally you'll be right. If you put $100 on 32 RED, ocassionally you'll be right. And if you say,"Gee, we haven't had a signifigant hurricane in NE in (X) number of years so we're due, and the water temp is up dramatically, and the lobster catch is down, and the catapillars have extra thick bands of yellow this year, and hell, the Red Sox won the World Series, ... THEREFORE, I PREDICT WE ARE GONNA GET OUR ***'S SLAMMED BY HURICANES THIS COMING SEAON!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T FORGET YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!!

You might be right.

You also might be a troll.

(Not aimed at the initial poster of the referenced article, but at the knucklehead who extrapolated from the "data." He acomplished his goal, people are talking about him and his "hypothosis." No notoriety is bad notoriety, eh? )

JMHO,
PTN

That lecture at the NE Aquarium sound interesting. Lets see what I'm doing in may.

Ide have to see some unusually warm Atlantics temps to be convinced of an increased bigone in the NE one that can stay in the waters up here slow down and then change course.

As for as increased activity with increase systems coming off Africa I can also say the odds of having a big one increases.

Which of the 2 cause it Ide say the increased in activity. Our Atlantic ocean isn't the Gulf and that water gets so warm its not refreshing to swim in. The gulfstream during our shark dive was the only time I felt that way and thats narrow considering the whole ocean.

paulthenurse:
Stop standing there, wringing your hands and predicting doom. Guess what, jackass? If you look down on a body lying in a bed and predict, "Doesn't look good, I'll bet he'll be dead by morning," occasionally you'll be right. If you look up at the sky and say, "Looks like rain," ocasionally you'll be right. If you say, I bet it's gonna be 'Head's' ocassionally you'll be right. If you put $100 on 32 RED, ocassionally you'll be right. And if you say,"Gee, we haven't had a signifigant hurricane in NE in (X) number of years so we're due, and the water temp is up dramatically, and the lobster catch is down, and the catapillars have extra thick bands of yellow this year, and hell, the Red Sox won the World Series, ... THEREFORE, I PREDICT WE ARE GONNA GET OUR ***'S SLAMMED BY HURICANES THIS COMING SEAON!!!!!!!!!!!! DON'T FORGET YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!!!!

So funny...and my thoughts exactly...who's seen the new show on the Weather Channel, "It Could Happen Tomorrow"???

And who remembers the "Blizzard '06" crap all over CNN for that average-ish snowstorm we had a month or two ago???

This is the MEDIA we're talking about. They want to create hysteria so we will all constantly watch the news/weather...oh, and p.s., the terror alert is also elevated...

As anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car in this area knows, THAT is much more likely to kill (or maim) anyone in this area than ANY storm...IMO, a little caution and courtesy behind the wheel is where people in this area need to be concentrating their energy...

Damn, I sound like my mother.

I get your point , and i agree with you for the most part, we can not be worry about what may happen and like my grandmother say the only thing in life you can be sure is that one day you are going to die.

But all i wanted to say and share with every one is that in the event of a hurricane will be nice if we are ready for it, as i mention before i already expereince it and is hard to deal with it if you are not ready, where i come from we are not trying to predict when the hurricanes are going to hit, but we are always ready in case one come our way. The worst part is not when the storm touch land the hardest is after, no electricity, no water, no gas, no medicine... you know the all nine yards.

Sorry if i sound paranoid, that wasn't my intention.

paulthenurse:
With All Due Respect to the "Learned Climetologists and Meteorologisist"...

(I am 100 % sure I just mis-spelled that but I've just worked my 3rd 12 hour overnight shift since coming back from 2 weeks in Italy and my body clock is so screwed up it's frightening and my brain is working on about 4 functional synapses right now and I ain't gonna go look it up...)

Shut the ******* up already!

You might be right.

You also might be a troll.

(Not aimed at the initial poster of the referenced article, but at the knucklehead who extrapolated from the "data." He acomplished his goal, people are talking about him and his "hypothosis." No notoriety is bad notoriety, eh? )

JMHO,
PTN

o wow someone pee in your corn flakes this morning..
this seems likeit was a valid topic to me.
average water temp being up could have alot to do with upcomming weather and dive conditions. this is a scuba forum right..
we are allowed to talk about the ocean and weather are we not...
go take a midol get some sleep get over your jet lag. then come back if ya have something to contribute..
if not...
get over it its just a forum

Diesel298:
this seems likeit was a valid topic to me.

Since I thought his statement was funny, I'll just say...I don't think he was saying it was invalid...I think he was demonstrating an annoyance with the media in general for using any opportunity to scare people. I'm certainly sorry if I came across as saying this was an invalid topic.

I, for one, would certainly be interested if a hurricane took out the area in which I dive regularly! But I cannot watch these fast-forward weather predictions without thinking that everything gets ramped up a notch just to create a TV-watching cycle of commercial-time-selling nonsense. IMO, someone searched far and wide to get a prediction that would upset the largest number of people that they could in post-Katrina America to get people watching...not that a storm like this couldn't happen, but let's face it...a category 5 hurricane could happen ANY YEAR, ANYWHERE. It just did happen in Australia.

In short, I will buy my bottled water and canned food, and then I will hope that I can spend every weekend diving...in 7 degree warmer water...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom