The best all around Dive Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
The Dive Rite's have their issues too... Cord, switches... etc.

i did have a problem with mine. the bulb wasn't seated right, and it
went out after my second dive.

sent it to Dive Rite, and got it back in less than a week. it's worked flawlessly since.

PerroneFord:
The Dive Rite's have their issues too... Cord, switches... etc.
Ah, but Dive Rite has awesome customer service (as does Salvo).

Halcyon Owner,
Jason

tribaltim:
I would like to add that I'm intrested in the cannister lights, but just a small one leaning around the $500.00 mark.....

Another thing I've noticed (on the internets at least) is that people who buy the 10W HID's develop HID-envy as soon as they see the 18-50W HID's in action and inevitably end up upgrading... I was also warned that you may be considered a lesser diver if you show up for a dive with a 10W and everyone else happens to have a bigger light...

*Floater*:
I was also warned that you may be considered a lesser diver if you show up for a dive with a 10W and everyone else happens to have a bigger light...

That's pure BS right there.

Jason B,

Yes, DR seems to have great customer service. Which is why I am a DR customer. However, having seen what other DR light owners have had to go through, I'll stick to another brand. Not knocking the company, my wing and my regs are Dive Rite. They work great.

Floater,

I've seen 18w, and I've seen 21w. They are both nice. But to be honest, for costing twice the price, I just can't justify it. Perhaps when I actually NEED that level of lighting, my thoughts will change. The other thing is if you are trying to communicate with your team via lights, it's not very helpful if your light simply drowns out your buddy's light.

Jason B:
That's pure BS right there.

ar ar

too true that

:wink:

The OMS is a really great light but the chargers suck, luckily they have replaced two chargers for free. Other nice feature over my Dive Rite is the switch is on the light head which makes it real easy to switch on and my dive rite is on the cannister so reaching around under my wing and finding it can be a pain but the Dive Rite has a more reliable charger. So the moral of the story is I carry both on every trip and the still carry two UK's and backup.

I've never had an issue with my Halcyon charger. Not one single issue. Ever.

Nor have I had an issue with the power inflators, either. All of my Halcyon stuff has functioned perfectly and flawlessly for well over 50 dives. Salt, fresh, hydrogen sulfide, everything.

PfcAJ:
Nor have I had an issue with the power inflators, either.

mine blew up on me -- well, kept trying to inflate my wings. i was like,
"what the...?" but slowly my brain worked it out and i unplugged it.

had to pay some amazing amount of money to replace it (i forget how much)

I too would like to put my vote on the OMS lights, they are small, light weight, and they definately provide ample life in the cave enviroment, as well as convience on mounting to your plate and ease of use. Hands down it is the brightest light of any of my diver partners, but I have never had anyone use over a 18W. Brand names aside, HID is the way to go, and unless your diving in real crud, you should be fine with a 10W (more if you can afford it I suppose). As always don't forget to position yoru brightest lights in the back of the formation, the brightness really does affect buddy awarness (as I've seen from experience).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom