The Blog from the Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey guy,

Will follow your blog (steinbeck domain) with interest! I am impressed by your packing list!

Mary

My first full day in Mexico:

ArizonaMetalSculptures.jpg

The ride from Phoenix to Puerto Penasco was full of wonders for a Swamp kid like me. AI see why we call Az the "All Beach, no Ocean" State. That's a lot of sand. There are a lot of types of cactus as well as a few birds, sage, mesquite, and the like. The variations of red and browns are amazing. We drove through a copper mine area just north of Organ Pipe Catuc National Monument, and the soft blue greens were a stark contrast to what we had been through. The night set as we were still driving in and we finally hit our hotel, Playa Bonito about 7:30 or so.

PlayaBonitaView.jpg

A few minutes to throw our stuff in our rooms and we all met at the Puesta del Sol for dinner. Our waiter Juan broght me his favorite dish: Pesca de Cortez and it was great! Bear (Scott), Kaite and I played with the different habanero sauces as we waited. !Mui caliente! As an after thought, I asked Juan to bring me his favorite beer as well. I am not sure why I have avoided Negra Modela, but I will not any longer. It was a full beer without a lot of the aftertaste. Good stuff!

The hotel is on one of the widest beaches I have ever seen. It's a good 100 yds wide at high tide and much more than twice that at low tide. There are patches of what appear to be igneous rock that protrude from the tan sand. At night we thought it might be seaweed, but it was actual rock. Everyone went to bed and I opted to walk on the beach a bit. It was pretty empty and the stars looked great.

PuertoPenascoBeach.jpg

This morning, we met back at the restaurant for breakfast. They had a buffet and you could get normal American fair like omelets and pancakes, but there was so much more. I have to mention the Chipoltle sauce. We thought the habanero sauce the night before was caliente, well this brought a tear to my eyes.

PlayaBonitaFindingInternet.jpg

After breakfast we walked along the beach. I was surprised at how many small shells there were and the great condition they were in! Bear and I just kept walking until we were good an lost. We had seen the Rocio de Mar and were working our way there over deserted lots, under some barbed wire and over piles and piles of debris. We had just made a right turn with a golf car with Dora and Lolo (our hosts) pulled up! Apparently they had seen the two gringoes walking aimlessly and they came to our rescue! We had probably put in a couple of miles, so this was very welcome! Dora gave us the cooks tour of the boat (more on that later), and then she gave us a ride back to our hotel! She's going to pick us up about 4:30. I am excited.

Our plans are to check out, put our bags in hotel storage for pick up later today! BTW, we are sitting here on the veranda pitying the few touristas on the beach. Every walking vendor, and there are dozens of them, are approaching them trying to sell them trinkets, hats or sunglasses. Too funny. There are these two chicas trying to sun themselves and every few minutes they are being asked to buy something.

PlayaBonitaHibiscus.jpg

About the hotel. It's about ten years old and is a mix of super workmanship and areas that could use some attention. There is a bit of grass here, which stands out like two gringoes walking through the commercial area, and they are all posted to stay off. Kinda funny. The tile work is exquisite, the wrought iron is amazing.

Last edited:
First off, I love your blog title, as that is one of my all-time favorite books.

We spent three days in Puerto Penasco a couple of years ago, and I have to say the absolute hands-down best food we had was from the sidewalk vendors. We went to several restaurants, from very nice to very humble, and the sidewalk guys had them all beat. (And nobody got sick.)

The afternoon before departure:

NinjaDriver.jpg
NinjaDriver.jpg

BearDriver.jpg

KatieThePassenger.jpg

Puerto Penasco is an amazing little town. The gringos call it Rocky Point, and there is basaltic rock everywhere. The gang decided to rent two four wheelers and to head out to look for a massage parlor for one of the ladies. Lunch was at a small cafe called “Anita y Jesus”. I had the Coktel de Camerones (Shrimp Cocktail), and it was nothing like the ones you get in Las Vegas. This was huge and had about twenty plump shrimp in a tomato sauce without a trace of horseradish. We then crossed the street to the Pharmacia to try and get some muscle relaxants for the back that needed the massage. SCORE! After a few moments of quiet haggling, she cam away with what she needed. I was impressed with the entrepreneurial spirit in the town. Whenever we passed any of the small stores, we were aggressively asked to come buy! These Puerto Penascoans were pushy and I liked their brand of pushy! By the way, don't worry if you can't speak any Spanish. If they can't understand you, they will point you to someone who can. For me, the adventure was as much linguistic as it was cultural. I took the opportunity at most every turn to add to my scant Spanish. Be cautious: if they think you understand Spanish, it's hard to get them to stop!

LaPuntaDePuertoPenssco.jpg

BusyHouse.jpg

Church1.jpg

After this we headed downtown to the Point, where we ran into a Mexican traffic jam. Men were approaching us from all angles with live shrimp in their hands, trying to get us to buy. I would imagine that six of them would weigh a pound: they were simply huge. The Mercado at the point was b-u-s-y! We found a parking spot and pulled in one behind the other. The vendors were trying to entice everyone to buy something: if only for a dollar. Some of the art was quite good, but I didn't come here to buy so I stepped outside just to look around. There is a remarkable looking bar out on stilts in the water at the Point. We didn't stop, but I was getting thirsty. A bit away from the point there is a public park, with a huge statue of an hombre comaronores (shrimper) riding a shrimp. On our drive here, Mike had told us that shrimping was very important to Puerto Penasco,:but not this important! The docks just below the point were stacked with shrimp boats like sardines in a can. There is no way one of the boats on the inside could get out until everyone else left. The pics do justice to the chaos, but they don't relay the smell very well!

HombreYCamerones.jpg
PuertoPenascoShrimpBoats01.jpg

PuertoPenascoShrimpBoats02.jpg

As a last hurrah, we took the four wheelers up to the lighthouse. The views were magnificent and we could see the Rocio del Mar from our vantage point. We quaffed some brews at the Lighthouse Restaurant, I snapped some pictures and then we went back down to the boat. The town is amazingly diverse. You can see the old and the new, the well kept and the decrepit, both in the water and on the land. It's a wild and untamed ride on it's own, add the spirited driving of Scott “Bear” Fritz, and you have the Mexican version of “Mr Toad's Wild Ride”.

PuertoPenascoPlaza.jpg

ThePoint.jpg

TryToKeepUp.jpg

I have yet to be on a liveaboard that was not helpful, but no one comes close to the captain and crew the Rocio del Mar! The bags were brought up from our hotel and the entire crew joined with us in getting them down the dock and onto the boat. A few minutes later, the other four passengers arrived, were loaded and we had to wait. Puerto Penasco has an 18 foot tide, and we were at the ebb. The Rocio del Mar is a very large ship. She will accommodate up to twenty passengers and eight crew. She is 110 ft long, with a 25 ft beam and weighs in at 280 tons! That's a lot of boat per passenger and there are only nine of us. This should be fun!

WeatherStation.jpg
RocioDelMarfromTheHill.jpg

The sun had started to set before we set sail. The lights in the town were on and made the voyage out of the harbor magical. We could see the Point bar, the Lighthouse Restaurant and the Playa Bonita passing by us as a reminder of the fun we have already had. Once out of the harbor, Captain Lolo turned our bow south and the adventure had begun. Our host, Dora introduced us to the crew and talked a bit about what to expect.

MarDeCorrazone.jpg

Living on the water is always wonderful, even if it's only for a week. The constant motion of the boat, the drone of the twin Caterpillar engines, the birds flying in to check us out are welcome to most every traveler. Of particular interest for me were the stars. The further south we moved the further we were away from city lights. Of course that meant we could see more stars. The wind was whipping around us this night, and as much as I enjoyed the stars, I decided to head to bed. I was just about to crawl in, when I saw most of the outside lights click off. On went the clothes and out I went to see even more stars. Wow. The milky way actually looked milky. Casseopiea, the shepard and Orion were all there saying hello. No moon meant even better viewing. A couple of shooting stars streaked through the sky and I looked into the wake of the boat. It was then I saw the phosphor trail. It took me only a moment to realize that a dolphin was playing in the bow wake of the boat. I looked a bit more forward and underneath the hull and was gratified to see about 15 of these wondrous creatures playing in the bow wake. They had no problem keeping up with the boat!

Last edited:
I will try to have another day written up every day or so. No set time schedule here, so be patient! :D

Our host, Dora introduced us to the crew and talked a bit about what to expect.

616dora-the-explorer-posters.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. Will stop spamming up Pete's blog now. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom