THE CENOTES OF THE RIVIERA MAYA 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stevegerrard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Steve Penn Gerrard’s environmental work brings out the explorer in every reader! A complete guide to snorkeling, cavern, and cave diving the cenotes of the Riviera Maya. This book includes photographs, maps, and provides details of where and how to swim, dive, and enjoy these beautiful cenotes located on the Caribbean coast of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula. Readers who wish to experience this fascinating work can purchase “The Cenotes of the Riviera Maya 2016” at bookstores everywhere, or online at the Apple iTunes store, Amazon, Google Play or Barnes and Noble. For additional information or media inquiries, contact Page Publishing at 800-204-6099.

Ok, I'll bite. I got a copy of book, and it's a phenomenal compendium of all things in and around the cenotes. Lots of information in there, and my compliments to Steve for putting it all together, and between hard copy covers.

Now, where the book has its shortcoming that it isn't quite clear what it tries to accomplish, and who the intended audience is. The vast majority of the book focuses on cave diving, but there is also a substantial section on snorkeling in there, or on what to pack for a trip to the Riviera Maya. And if it is meant as a resource for cave divers, there is a large piece on the basics of cave diving in there that they shouldn't need. Perhaps less would be more, a guidebook specifically for the trained cave diver who wants to dive in the cenotes, especially the less visited ones?

And if it's going in that direction, there is another issue that needs attention: maps. There there are a few of them in there, but they are very inconsistent, in style and where they are found. Some are with a particular cenote, some are in the exploration section, many are copied from other sources, in some cases even with unreadable labels. I wish the author would spend some effort on an overview sketch for each system, and perhaps stick maps for the popular dive sites. I know it's going to take some effort to draw these, and lines do change, but they don't have to be QRSS quality, and they'd be just as up to date as some of the information in the text as to where the lines, permanent Ts, etc. are.

Despite all of that, it's still a magnificent piece of work and worth having if you plan on diving in the cenotes.

Thank you for the positive review. I would have loved to put more maps into the book, however, the detail maps available belong the QRSS and they rely on sales to maintain their status and forbid anyone else the use of the maps.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom