"The Chairman": Whites Fusion now in a new bigger size...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
"The Chairman": Whites Fusion now in a new bigger size...
OK, I have to admit that i have been jonesing for a Fusion for quite some time, but they always looked at me and sadly shook their heads. "It'll fit, but you won't like it..." was always their reply. My hopes of diving the cold waters of Catalina were shattered!

Just before DEMA I got three PMs, an E-Mail and a phone call. "Pete, stop by the Whites booth at DEMA. We have something for you!" So, I have to admit that DEMA took on a new importance to me. What does Whites have up their dry-sleeve that would warrant this kind of excitement?

So, on the last day of DEMA I got to drop by the booth and meet Mr White, Paul and the rest of the gang. What did they have? A brand new size for the fusion that they called the "Chairman". Why? Because the built it with ME in mind. Wow. I have to admit that I was taken back by this honor until one of the guys told me that the code name during development was actually "FB" for "Fat Bastard. Now THATS more like it! They WERE thinking of me!

We took some time to get me in thermals and then I put the "Chairman" on. I was impressed! First, I like the neoprene on the feet. I didn't have to dance to get my wide feet into the suit. In the past, this part was very exhausting: just ask HowardE!!! Now it's easy! In fact the only hitch was putting my hands in. But hey, I worked as a Mechanic for 30 years, so I have big strong hands and they don't compress easily. A little talc will help there and it was better than MOST suits. But within a few minutes I was WEARING a Fusion Dry Suit. Wow. That was almost too easy, and we hadn't even trimmed the seals. I could bend as if I was not wearing a suit. Since I have limited flexibility to begin with, this was HUGE for me... and so was the suit!

Finally, I took the suit off and Mr White took the time to trim my seals for me. Whoa! The man is serious about how to cut these seals, and he was not going to do it without the proper set of SHARP sheers. He is a pro at it too! I have to admit that it was good to spend some time with him and to get a feel for how he sees ScubaBoard and the industry in general. The man has a vision for how Scuba should be offered to the general public and the wise retailer would take time to seek his advice!

So, this is the first part of several posts as I get used to and start diving my new "Chairman" sized Fusion Dry Suit. Keep watching for more to come, including some pics!!!

Last edited:
Rats! I should have waited! Although I am very happy with my Whites Catalyst 360.

Hi NetDoc,
Sounds similar to the suit they had me try on. I'm 5' 10", 56 inch waist and weigh about 310. It was the first stock suit that has ever fit me. Thanks to you, they now have a suit for us "real men"! :D Looking forward to getting my own.
Take care,
George

OK... I got in the pool for the first time and here are my impressions:

Putting the suit on the SECOND time was easy. I had a bit of an issue with fully closing the zipper due to my limited mobility, but my son was there so it was easy to get him to do it. I just can't tell you how much simpler this was than my old suit. It was just a couple of minutes and I was ready to put on my tank and jump in. I was worried about them fitting into my OTB Boots, but they went right in with some thick socks on!

The pool water was COLD: 54 degrees. The thermals were more than adequate for that and they did not require near as much weight as my Weazles. There was a slight leak at the neck, so it's going back to Whites for a new seal. As I thought about it, I should have waited until I was not as tired and stressed as I was at DEMA. It was the last day of a LONG show!

Still, my mobility in the water was awesome! I was not hampered at all, and all the valves worked correctly. What was GREAT was the absence of a ton of air gathering at my feet! In fact, the air control was just simply AWESOME. Good job Whites! I can't wait to get this into a real dive now!

There was a slight leak at the neck, so it's going back to Whites for a new seal. As I thought about it, I should have waited until I was not as tired and stressed as I was at DEMA. It was the last day of a LONG show!

Doc, you may want to consider picking up a size large Apollo bioseal to cure that slight neck seal leak. I have a White's catalyst suit (custom) and the neck seal was just a bit too comfortable (i.e., it leaks a little bit during the dive). Rather than sending the suit back (I waited a while to get it) for a new seal I decided to use my Apollo bioseal instead. No more neck leak and there's an added side benefit that I don't get neck rub with repeated dives (used to end up with ring around the collar after 2 or more dives). In theory the bioseal will shorten the lifetime of the latex seal at the neck but I feel that the benefits outweigh the risks.

I just ordered the Apollo bioseal for my fusion as well. I have the same slight neck seal leak issue and once I found the bioseal and the reviews, I feel like it will solve the problem. I don't need the 'chairman' size, but i truly love the Fusion :D

Well, my fusion should be back soon, and will also be fitted with a Pee valve. I am down in the Keys for a week teaching a class, so my WetWear 3 Mil should be MORE than I need until I get back to Winter Park!

Back
Top Bottom