The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that really sucks, your pictures have always been impressive. What happened, did the o-ring fail or something else (last year, one of the screws securing the latch popped out on my DS 800, I got a drop or two of water in the housing but I was lucky and the camera was not damaged). If the techs can't save your DS 600, I just saw an ad in a scuba mag which indicates that SeaLife has introduced a new DS 1200. Think of what your photos will look like with all those extra mega-pixels!!!
I have had previous positive experience with leaving the camera in the car to dry it out... If I don't have the same experience, I will turn to the techno wizards at SeaLife to solve this issue. If it doesn't work out, I will have two brand new batteries that will need to find a home and a whole bunch of extras I have inherited if the 600 doesn't make it past the pet cemetary

I t hink your new website is wonderful. I especially love the fantastic shot you got of that eagle ray- full frontal! wooo! nice work. Keep it going!
Suz
Ah, thanks... The web site is being updated on a daily basis. I took the original info from "wades"+other sites and I am updating it with my info+construction+pictures and weather from the latest sites. If you checked it yesterday, it changed again...

The visibility Wednesday, roughly 20 ft, was the best in the past five or six days. You could see the bottom by the pilings beside the boat channel; the water wasn't as clear as it was a few weeks ago. A few intrepid souls ventured out at high tide.

My computer never got down to the lower 60's, but my body sure knew the temps were in the low 60s

That's alot of shrinkage where I'm from. Thanks for the dive report!!

How was the water temp?

I dove there March 10th (3 days ago). Water was 71 degrees. Not too bad. I dove a hour with a 3/2 and was fine for the entire dive.

Mark of Force-E Riviera Beach lead the expedition Saturday night. There were about nine folks in the water; I was the only snorkeler. Water temps reported at 71F.

We entered the water around 6:15pm; the group I was with exited around 8:10pm. I believe high tide was 6:56pm. The current upon entry was noticable but not demanding. Visibility was pretty good for recent days - at least 20ft. I could see the bottom at the pilings by the boat channel.

There weren't any large creatures out and about last night but the photographers got at least a dozen photo opportunities. As a snorkeler this isn't an ideal locale for night diving. Most of the marine night life occurs on the bottom. You need to crawl along the bottom to even detect whatever life is present.

The photographers did spot a couple of baby octopi who seemed to enjoy playing with the weirdly lit giants in their midst.

The cold water got to me eventually. (I was wearing a 3mm shorty and 3/2 hood. Everyone else was wearning full suits at least 3mm and in some cases 5mm.) However I was able to capture some warmth by floating in the exhaust air from the divers below. Ahhh... gotta love those warm tiny bubbles. :D

It was a new moon last night so once the sun set it was pretty dark underwater. What a beautiful sunset from the water's surface. The western sky was cloudless, the sun's fading deep orange light lingered on the horizon for a long spell, and finally the night sky's deep purple cover closed in over us. Pretty sweet.

Once when the divers were right next to the boat channel a good sized two story party boat lumbered through the channel heading south. The boat, capable of holding at least a hundred people, was unoccupied except for the crew. The indoor string lights were lit in the lower and upper ballrooms. It seemed out-of-place - like a vehicle from another era.

I was impressed with Mark's navigational acumen. He lead us out west along the south side of the main bridge, around the piling next to the boat channel, back east in the middle of the main bridge, and finally back to shore along the south side of the bridge. Mark did all this underwater. Pretty cool.

So this was my first night dive evah. (Well, first night swim wearing clo... uhhh... nevermind.) It was a great experience; I had a blast. The folks from Force-E in Riveria Beach were professional, helpful, organized, and friendly. Thanks to all who participated in the festivities.

Sadly a new unwanted fish was found by my friend Judy Townsend on the BHB night dive. She & Linda Iannellio got the best pics but I managed one myself. It was a very tiny guy about 1.5inches. This is an invasive species (it was removed today) and a dangerous one to have around. Please contact REEF.org as Lad Akins will want to know of any that are found. Although BHB is a NO TAKE zone this is one fish that needs to be removed-very carefully. If you have any questions as to why please contact REEF & they will be happy to explain

P3144932_edited-1.jpg

Last edited:
Can I take your message and picture to post on the BHB information pages of Jammin Beach.com

... and thanks for the information. Do you have Lad Akins contact information that I can also post on the site?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom