The continuing sagas of the Blue Heron Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I kind of skimmed this enormous thread looking for some information but didn't find it so ill ask away. I am in the area working and did a drive by of the park and after looking around my questions are.

I'm guessing the beach is the best point of entry?
At this time can you dive the east section while they are doing the construction work?
if you go to the west it would make sense that you not dive in the channel so as you come back to the east what's the rule/etiquette with the pier, can you dive under or around it or should it be given a wide clearance?
can you circumnavigate the entire island? would you want to? if so how do you negotiate the boat launch ramps?
And what about the moorings off of the beach? is it ok to dive in that area?
I am using tide information from the reporting station at the port of West Palm Beach, is this close enough to the bridge or is there a better station to check?
Thanks in advance, Pete

I read through the forum FAQ's, but I don't have a feel for the etiquette of posting images here. Is it preferred to post only URL's? Are the pics posted within the forum enjoyed by most? *I* enjoy seeing all the pics that I see here, but I wonder what the consensus (if any) is. TIA

Kevin

I kind of skimmed this enormous thread looking for some information but didn't find it so ill ask away. I am in the area working and did a drive by of the park and after looking around my questions are.

The beach closest to the boating channel is where you should enter. Start and end your dive at the first span there.

At this time can you dive the east section while they are doing the construction work? You can dive that area but I believe the rule is stay 100 ft away. Still plenty to see.

if you go to the west it would make sense that you not dive in the channel so as you come back to the east what's the rule/etiquette with the pier, can you dive under or around it or should it be given a wide clearance? Basically what everyone does is tour the east side then make their way west and explore the bridge pilings. There really isnt much around the pier and there is normally a tone of fishing going on there so you would want to be careful. You definitely want to stay clear of the boating channel. Max depth in that area is something like 18ft.

can you circumnavigate the entire island? would you want to? if so how do you negotiate the boat launch ramps? Haven't heard of too many people wanting to do this. there is alot of rock and what not on the north end. Also, there is no swimming in the boat launch area.

And what about the moorings off of the beach? is it ok to dive in that area? Yes! Great life and plenty of things to look at around them as well.

I am using tide information from the reporting station at the port of West Palm Beach, is this close enough to the bridge or is there a better station to check?
Thanks in advance, Pete
Take a look at SCUBA Obsession Main Page for tide info. Great map there too!.
Regards.

DD

Yes - you can enter anywhere from the beach except in the swimming area - marked with white buoys in front of the life guard tower.

At this time can you dive the east section while they are doing the construction work?
No - you must stay at least 50 ft away from the construction site. There is "stuff" in the water - drop clothes and such that give you a clue if you happen to drift in that direction.

if you go to the west it would make sense that you not dive in the channel so as you come back to the east what's the rule/etiquette with the pier, can you dive under or around it or should it be given a wide clearance?
Yes, you definitely want to stay out of the boat channel. Easy as the channel markers run N-S and are much closer together than the bridge pilings. You can dive under the fishing pier, just be situationally aware and stay away from any lines. A good way to do it is enter under the pier from the far west side and zig zag your way staying under until you get to the east end.

can you circumnavigate the entire island? Huh?!?

would you want to? Never heard of anyone trying - but then most trolls can spend their entire dive with one seahorse or nudibranch. The BHB dive is all about going s-l-o-w! if so how do you negotiate the boat launch ramps?

And what about the moorings off of the beach? is it ok to dive in that area?Absolutely! Lots of cool stuff under the boats! Just be aware of your flag.

The WPB tide tables are fine. You'll want to enter approx one hour prior to slack for maximum dive time. Cool Tech has a great site: jamminbeach.com which gives tons of good info about Phil Foster Park. Also visit the local dive shops: Force E on the west side of the bridge and Pura Vida on Singer Island. They can help you with general info and any gear you might need.

You will need a flag. And you are aware that currently there is a no-swim advisory due to high bacteria content? Some divers are still entering at their own risk. The rest of us are waiting and hoping for an all-clear soon.

I read through the forum FAQ's, but I don't have a feel for the etiquette of posting images here. Is it preferred to post only URL's? Are the pics posted within the forum enjoyed by most? *I* enjoy seeing all the pics that I see here, but I wonder what the consensus (if any) is. TIA

From Feb 5

Kevin

Attachments

• face.jpg
    face.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 54
  • flower.jpg
    flower.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 50
  • jelly.jpg
    jelly.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 56
  • jelly2.jpg
    jelly2.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 53
  • munchfest.jpg
    munchfest.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 57
  • pair.jpg
    pair.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 51
In the pic in the previous post with the bristleworm munching on one of the jellies, there's a little flounder on the upper right also having a snack.

Kevin

Attachments

• polkadot.jpg
    polkadot.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 47
  • razorfish.jpg
    razorfish.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 45
  • seahorse.jpg
    seahorse.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 46
  • seahorse2.jpg
    seahorse2.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 44
  • seahorse3.jpg
    seahorse3.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 48
  • shrimp.jpg
    shrimp.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 50
  • vacuum beast.jpg
    vacuum beast.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 50
Kevin,

Really nice pictures, thanks for sharing. The close up Seahorse picture is really nice, I've never got a close up of a Banded Coral Shrimp that was as nice as that one. Looked like you had a nice dive.

Kevin,

Really nice pictures, thanks for sharing. The close up Seahorse picture is really nice, I've never got a close up of a Banded Coral Shrimp that was as nice as that one. Looked like you had a nice dive.

Thanks, Dennis. I was thrilled with the dive - just like with the few others I've tried there to date. Heading back down - damn the bacteria, full speed ahead - this weekend and gonna try out the Jupiter Mermaid abode.

The 18 megapixels with the latest Rebel allows for almost ridiculous cropping and enlarging. :) Cheating makes digital *so* much fun. :D

Kevin

I plan to dive the bridge on March 9. It should be nice. I hope the water temp is in the 80's by then. It would be even nicer if that is the case.

I plan to dive the bridge on March 9. It should be nice. I hope the water temp is in the 80's by then.

Good luck with that. :D I'm a warm water guy, too, but my 2mm shorty over my 3mm full suit plus a hood has made the 68º water temps tolerable for a couple of hours. The neat stuff to find and see makes it even that much more tolerable. . .

Kevin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom