The death of a 'Mermaid'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm reading it now. Interesting book.

-Grier

Boogie711:
It's not too late to matter if actually sitting there and objectively figuring out what went wrong saves some future lives.

Agreed, and I stand corrected. :bravo:

Boogie711:
And for the record I think Pipin basically killed her. Certainly not intentionally, but the inattention to basic safety precautions and details is mind-blowing in hindsight.

Yup, I agree.

This was an equipment failure due to lack of proceedure, redundancy and emergency medical equipment.

It should never have turned out this way.

Finished the book last night...Narcissism at its deadliest and most tragic.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the tank ,that should have had enough air in it to rocket her up to the surface from such great depths, empty! I remember watching it on the Discovery Channel. I even remember the crew mention that it was Pipin's responsibility to check it, guess he was to busy trying to figure out how to beat his wife's record.

Wasn't just the tank, even when pascal tried to inflate the lift bag at the bottom with his reg it didn't inflate properly and apparantly showed signs of wear. The absence of a safety diver at a certain depth didn't help either, it forced the deeper safety dive into a shallower depth with Audrey putting himself at risk of all sorts of problems.

Such a sad story :frown:

Boogie711:
It's not too late to matter if actually sitting there and objectively figuring out what went wrong saves some future lives.....
Here is a novel idea, why not just stop the madness by not getting into a contest on who can dive the deepest in the first place.

The Risk, if you guess you limits wrong, or if there is an equipment malfunction, you die.

The Reward - bragging rites to being the world record holder and profit from the book and movie deal.

The benifit to diving or the mankind in general - No true benefit to mankind or the sport of diving.

What we are talking about here is pure and simple Russian Roulett.

IMHO It is truly a Darwin award nomination.

I am saddened that someone died. But, then they knew the risk. Was the pursuit of some silly record really worth it?

This was an absolutely senseless death. First off, like Pasley said, why do it. Even then if you are going to do it why wouldn't you have two if not three tanks, two bags, etc. There was not even a pressure gauge on the fill bottle. It was tested by simply cracking it open a little. The blame rests with all involved. If it was my life on the sled I would personally check the gear.

I cannot believe anyone would seriously consider buying his book about how she died.

Why enrich him over his mistake which resulted in her death?

Boycott.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom