The difference between morning dive and afternoon dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only dive with one operator in Cozumel, so my frame of reference is limited. However, in addition to what has been said I wanted to add that there may be differences because of depth.

We do deep dives in the morning and shallow dives in the afternoon. It is a smaller operator so there is only one DM. Unless you go with a dive op with more than one DM, I imagine you will only be doing deeper dives only in the morning as well. That means all the wall dives will be in the morning.

ae3753:
Only dive with one operator in Cozumel, so my frame of reference is limited. However, in addition to what has been said I wanted to add that there may be differences because of depth.

We do deep dives in the morning and shallow dives in the afternoon. It is a smaller operator so there is only one DM. Unless you go with a dive op with more than one DM, I imagine you will only be doing deeper dives only in the morning as well. That means all the wall dives will be in the morning.

This is an excellent point, and one that I wanted to touch on as well.

Regardless of whether there is one DM, morning dives will typically require you to "go more with the flow." By this I mean, that MOST morning profiles start with a wall dive 80 to 100+ feet (depending on the site), with a second dive being in the 40 to 60 range. Of course this is not always set in stone (although it is with some ops as they have a set schedule for each day). Many operators also try to group divers by experience level as best as possible, but this isn't always a perfect science either.

So, my point here is that if you don't feel ready to do these types of dives, be prepared to either hire a private divemaster for at least the first day or two, or request afternoon dives which are typically shallower. Staying at 60 feet while the rest of the groups goes to 80 or 100 is not an option, particularly for a new diver. Currents are often different a different depths and this is a sure way to get separated from your group at depth, especially where swim throughs may be involved. As a couple of others have said, afternoon dives may not even always be available...especially in December when it gets dark much earlier.

The very best thing for you to do is talk to the operator you are diving with, and find out what options they have available, what type of profiles they dive, etc. Make sure you are completely honest with the operator about your experience and any concerns or questions you may have. Unless you communicate these things, they won’t know. It’s perfectly ok to be a new diver, just make sure you communicate this clearly so they can choose the best sites and options for you, whatever those may be.

There are too many variables here for anyone here to give you a really "correct" answer as to what YOU should do.

If you are worried about afternoon dives not being as good as morning dives...that shouldn't concern you, especially as a new diver...it's ALL good.

Good luck and dive safe.

I'll be in Coz Dec 1-6 diving with Raul of Bottom Time Divers and staying at the Reef Club. Raul usally leaves just a bit later than most about 8:30-9 and returns about 1. If these are the same dates join us. If you are new to diving I don't mind staying shallow, I not the kind of diver that has to go deep. I'm just happy getting wet.

the best part of afternoon dives...sleeping in!:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom