The "F" Word (Flood)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry to hear of your flood. After you finish with the distilled water try achohol next, not to drink but to soak the camera. I saved my Sony with this technique once.

20.gif

Thanks to all of you for your kind words. The board is a friendly place indeed.

Black Net, thanks for sharing on your repair experience. I kind of have that opinion on electronics that have been in seawater. An upgrade is not in the cards as the C4000 is the last model that fits in my PT-010 housing(s). I'll stick with it as the price is right and there are plenty of them out there.

I have obtained some additional information regarding the Olympus "flate rate repair" program that was previously mentioned and is currently in the "Tips and Techniques" category. It is not as "cut and dry" (no pun intended) as it appears. I will post it in a new thread.

Yuzo:
Hello Gilligan, i'm very sorry to hear this. When I read your posting I was worried about if it was caused by replacing of front ring. A new calamity visits us just when we have forgotten about the previous one.

But your posting prevent many flooding of us.

Yuzo

Welcome to the Board, Yuzo!

You're famous here, if you didn't know that already.

Best regards,

Marlo S. from Saipan

I guess it's my turn to say ...

:new_puppy So Sorry!!!

Hope you get your replacement soon. Now the mandatory question, was it insured and will you claim it??

I just called olympus about my flooded camera that I mailed in on the 14th. They said I should have it back in about 5-6 business days....Then I'll have 2 5050's...does that mean I need a 2nd housing???
Aloha,
Lisa

justleesa:
I just called olympus about my flooded camera that I mailed in on the 14th. They said I should have it back in about 5-6 business days....Then I'll have 2 5050's...does that mean I need a 2nd housing???
Aloha,
Lisa

No, Lisa... it means you can take "above water" photos without having to hurry up and take your 5050 out of the housing :)

No, it was not insured.
I don't believe in spending the money on insurance for a $239. camera. It's just not worth it.

30.gif

As far as trying to disassemble it for soaking purposes then reassembling it, "FORGET ABOUT IT". I opened it up today and played with it for a few hours recording my steps on my C2040. There are more parts in that camera than there are pineapples here in the fields. It would take a trained technician to disassemble and reassemble that camera or six months of my time. I'd rather be diving.

sapphire:
No, Lisa... it means you can take "above water" photos without having to hurry up and take your 5050 out of the housing :)
Always knew you're a smart cookie!

Back
Top Bottom