The First 5 Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With me there's a huge difference between holding my breath with full lungs and with empty lungs. With empty lungs after an exhale, like I'm talking about here, I can barely get 15-20 seconds. On the other hand, with full lungs, especially after hyperventilating a little first, I can do about a minute or more.

I'd be interested to hear what others can hold after a full exhale (NOT with full lungs).

Anyway, to answer other questions, I'm descending feet first, tilted a bit forward, with my legs pulled up under me to make sure I don't kick.

As far as weighting at the end of my dive, it seems about perfect. I held my last 15 ft. safety stop easily with about 700psi in the tank. So I think I'm okay in that regard.

you could just do a feet first dive. Empty your BC then give a hard kick to bring your upper body out of the water a bit. Raise one (or both) arm/s over your head to add even more weight. Point your toes down as your feet come together and exhale. Between your head, arms and torso you should have enough weight above the water to drive you down several feet. At that point your suit should start to compress.
Are your tanks negative at the end of the dive, or at least neutral? If they are positive when empty then it sounds to me like you are actually starting underweighted.

Joe

kidy ytorf oy. 76- drvpmfd/////

....uh... I mean just tried it.... 50 seconds.

R..

Sideband:
you could just do a feet first dive. Empty your BC then give a hard kick to bring your upper body out of the water a bit. Raise one (or both) arm/s over your head to add even more weight. Point your toes down as your feet come together and exhale. Between your head, arms and torso you should have enough weight above the water to drive you down several feet. At that point your suit should start to compress.
Are your tanks negative at the end of the dive, or at least neutral? If they are positive when empty then it sounds to me like you are actually starting underweighted.

Joe

Ah yes, the 5-point ballerina descent. Just be sure to warn your buddies first so they don't laugh at you.....

R..

Diver0001, with empty lungs?? Wow, I'm impressed...

mccabejc:
Diver0001, with empty lungs?? Wow, I'm impressed...

Yeah, empty. Just tried it will full lungs. 2 min 10 seconds.

R..

Dang, you're a lean, mean, breathing machine....

perpet1:
My question is this: Since it sounds like you are very close to neutral at the start of your dive, is there any chance that you are properly weighted at the end of your dive? :06:
My exact thoughts.

Jason

perpet1:
My question is this: Since it sounds like you are very close to neutral at the start of your dive, is there any chance that you are properly weighted at the end of your dive? :06:

I do about the same as Jim describes during decents. It's the first 1-2 meters in which I am still a little buoyant. But with only 50 bar (700 psi) left in the tank on a 5 meter safety stop, all is well. But again, the last 2 meters ascending I'm buoyant again...a little.

Lets work this backwards...

mccabejc:
As far as weighting at the end of my dive, it seems about perfect. I held my last 15 ft. safety stop easily with about 700psi in the tank. So I think I'm okay in that regard.
Are you holding it by hovering in the water column without any movements (where normal breathing will cause a slight rise and fall in position) and without holding on to anything?

If so, then with a full tank you should be plenty "over weight" to handle the descent.

The obvious culprits have been discussed:

1. Big exhale
2. Air in wetsuit (or other gear)
3. Is the BC completely empty?
4. Movements

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom