the NEW Scubapro X-Wing BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SP X-Tek is the old Dive Rite Trans-Pac. SP bought out the company manufacturing the Trans-Pac for Dive-Rite. I think that a BCD that can grow with your needs is a great invention. Why mediocre? The Trans-Pac has been around for a number of years and many divers swear by it's design.

Just a couple of thought....

Rick said: "For new divers I generally advise staying away from back inflated BC's because many new divers find them to be very uncomfortable on the surface."

I am a very new diver, and while I agree with Rick that the back inflated BC does tend to push you face forward at the surface, IMO it is something you can quickly adapt to.
I purchased the Seaquest Malibu RDS and am very happy with it.

The trick is to inflate it just enough to keep your head above the water and or use a little rear trim weight. Then just lean back and relax. I think this short adjustment period is well worth the trouble in the long run because of the more streamlined configuration.

Just one more opinion among many.

Jimbo

Not trying to start a pissing contest with anyone about Scubapro bc's but.. I have a Scubapro S-tek bc and I love it so much that I think that if anything ever happend to it and/or they stopped making it I might just quit diving.. As far as I am concerned it is one of the best bc's made..

I do not recommend ScubaPro BCs. I have an X-Tech than just sits in a box. SP regs are great, the BCs are terrible. BP and harness is the way to go.

Mario,

I have to agree with Rick M. While not every single BC made by Scubapro was a winner, they make a functional durable product. Just ask anyone that runs a rental shop. Scubapro BC's will outalst anything else in the industry.

I once had the pleasure of meeting Peter Romano, director of underwater cinematography for the movie "The Abyss". He dove a Scubapro Classic for approximately 600 dives per year.

Leadweight

I was never a big Scubapro BC fan (although I LOVE their regs) until I started dive travel a lot. I go to Japan, Philippines, Thailand, etc. and everywhere you go you see Scubapro. My instructor used a Seaquest but he told me that for a diver that travels a lot, Scubapro has by far the largest network of centers for service etc. I also noticed that the cheapest of the SP models seems to be one of the most common rentals at the many places that I have dived and they seem to last a very long time.

Mario,

When you paint with a broad brush and make absolute statements, people tend to not take your posts seriously. I think that many companies make models that are very good. Some some companies make more good ones than others. I try to comment on BC's that I have actually used IN THE WATER. I also will rely on magazine reviews only if the magazine takes NO advertising or takes advertising from all of the manufacturers that I am interested in.

I bought a Scubapro Knighthawk after reading the following in PADI

PADI Article

and after reading a test that compared Back Inflate BC's for neutral bouyancy characteristics. I like a lot of the bells and whistles on Zeagle but they had the worst rating for bouyancy. Bleed all the air from a Ranger and they still float like a cork. Bleed all the air from a Knighthawk and it is neutral.

Another review placed back inflate BC's on a dummy and dragged them through the water to measure drag...again the Knighthawk had the lowest drag of the group. They did not test a BP/Wings...I am sure it would have been the best for low drag. (This magazine had advertising from Zeagle, SP, and SeaQuest)

Having said this I am still looking for a BP and Wings for doubles. I have tried a Halcyon with a Pioneer and it was very nice but found the straps a bit uncomfortable with no wetsuit or a thin wetsuit. So for the tropics I'll stick with the Knighthawk and for pseudo tech diving I'll probably end up with a BPWings.

Mouth Breather once bubbled...

I have tried a Halcyon with a Pioneer and it was very nice but found the straps a bit uncomfortable with no wetsuit or a thin wetsuit.

Hi,

They make padded shoulder straps to put over the webbing. Halcyon has some as does OMS. I always wear at least a 3 mil suit, even in the pool so, I have not experienced this problem. Just a thought.

I dove with a wing style BC back in the day when the Atpac was about the only option. I think mine might have been a SeaQuest but I can honestly say for sure. I loved to wing style in part because of low drag, but also it kept stuff out of the way. In the day, over twenty years ago, I was exclusively a game diver. Having freedom of movement in front was important. Contrary to what is taught now, I loved kicking back to the boat on my back. After a long cold dive kicking backwards seemed to use different leg muscles and the bouyancy of the wing lifted me a ways out of the water.

I'm back into diving after mostly just doing warm water resort diving only for the past ten years. I have a buddy with an SP Knighthawk and I really like the way it fits and floats. I've had good service from SP equipment over the years and don't have any qualms about getting a BC from them.

Zombie thread 8 years old...It would be cool though to hear from the posters what they use now. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom