The Schooba Academy - Teaching Science through SCUBA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schooba

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

My name is Zach Rome, and I have started a nonprofit, after-school program that teaches students from low-income communities science through scuba diving. We're just about to launch our first pilot (on Saturday!!), and I wanted to take a moment and introduce myself on the forum. Check out our site (it won't let me post it here, but just google 'schooba'), and send me a message with any questions/comments/etc.!

Happy diving!

Zach Rome

I think it could be an admirable thing to offer these kids..Issue is ,once they are certified how do they get to go diving? Diving costs $ and time.
Another issue is your budgeting $ for this non profit activity.I saw where your budgeted monies go.You probably have the pool and classroom at no charge thru the NY school system, which can be the largest expense for an LDS or independent instructor to have. According to your numbers it costs $500. per student to teach them to dive. I do not even think that would include ow training dives,just academics and confined water work. Probably not even all the confined pool work for openwater certification either as you only allot 3 hrs of pool time for the course. I am pleased someone actually puts a realistic price on what it takes to teach people to dive, and that is for a non profit price....

just read entire summary about 'schooba" on oceanblue site...Now I see the kids only do a
Discover Scuba" program, budgeted at $500. per kid.. not a ow course...good luck ..

Hi Oly5050user and Surface Interval,

Thanks so much for checking out the post.

If either of you have any questions, please feel free to contact me via my personal email. zach@schooba.org.

As much as scuba diving is the essence of our program, our main mission is to foster an engagement in science for our kids. There are three main components to the program:

- tutoring - every kid receives free, private science tutoring

- in-water scuba training - every kid gets to experience diving (as we have just started and are only in our pilot, it is only pool time right now. we are working on ways of upping this time and getting kids certified and in the ocean)

- ongoing field trips - all kids will get the opportunity to participate in ongoing scuba/science related field trips. this part of the program can answer some of your questions, Oly, about diving being expensive. We will offer different trips through the year where kids can go diving.

Again, if you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch. And if you get a chance, check out the pics and videos from our launch at the Explorers Club! Just google 'schooba' (this site won't let me post the link).

Thanks again!

Looking forward to keeping you posted.

Hello everyone. We just had our first pool session this past Saturday. I've posted pics and videos on our site. If you get a chance, check it out!

I can't paste the website here, but just google "schooba" and it should come up!

Back
Top Bottom