The Search For The MT6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because diving it from shore (without boat support) is against Seattle municipal code and we don't need to advertise stuff like this. Anyone who wants to find it can (from across the State Rick did on his 2nd try). But mostly because nylon is forever in the ocean. Once it gets a little growth on it nobody will ever pull it out (or even be able to follow it). We are pulling as much line from wrecks as possible whenever possible, it turns into garbage in short order and degrades everyone's safety & experience.

edit: btw I learned this the hard way on the wreck of the Orca a few years ago. <3 months later it was worse than useless and I did my best to ball up the remnants and throw it away.

Well, we made our last dive (for a while) today. The line is no longer connected to the APLP line, but is now a bit deeper around a rock.

We had a fantastic dive today! We surface-scootered to my sausage, removed and stowed the sausage, then headed out on the surface to descend and start toward the line at, hopefully, about 150-175'. Well, we guessed shallow and descended to the bottom at 100'. From there it took us 9 mins to get to the wreck, so with a return leave time planned at 28 mins, we had almost 20 mins on the wreck. The vis still sucked, but we had a bunch-o-fun poking around, and even dropping down into some holes a bit.

All and all, it was a fun-filled 4-dive trip. If I hadn't posted about the line no one would even know it was there, which is why my buddies keep warning me against all the posting I do. Oh well...

You techie dudes (and dudettes) who live here have a nice wreck to play around in, right off Alki. Thanks for letting some visitors from the east enjoy a little time on it. :cool3:

Rick

Quote: "from across the State Rick did on his 2nd try"

Exactly! If two dummies like Rick and his poorly skilled buddy can find it from shore, any newly certified Alki diver could find it as well... even without a line... Hmmmmm. Seems funny no one has ever found it from shore until yesterday.

Last edited:
Our two OC friends . . . were hot to join us for dive #2.

Below is the OC dive profile from dive#2.
054_28-Dec-2009.gif

mch

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote: "from across the State Rick did on his 2nd try"

Exactly! If two dummies like Rick and his poorly skilled buddy can find it from shore, any newly certified Alki diver could find it as well... even without a line... Hmmmmm. Seems funny no one has ever found it from shore until yesterday.

Actually they have ... most folks just don't talk about it because ...

rjack321:
Because diving it from shore (without boat support) is against Seattle municipal code and we don't need to advertise stuff like this. Anyone who wants to find it can (from across the State Rick did on his 2nd try).

And although I don't necessarily agree with his request to remove the line, I do understand why he thinks it's the prudent thing to do, based on his logic above. Even with boat support, you need permission from Seattle Harbor Patrol to access this site, because it's in the middle of a busy navigation channel. There's lots of overhead in the form of barges and tugs ... both moving and moored.

But I don't read the "dummies" implication anywhere in what he wrote, nor any sentiment about the skills of the divers involved. I believe he was simply saying that if someone who's unfamiliar with the area can achieve this without the use of a guideline, those of us who dive here all the time should be able to ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I must apologize for the dripping sarcasm.

You are right. There was no implication that Rick and I are dummies (we are not), and that my skills are poor (well... that is a matter of opinion).

I did get an implied elitist sense that this accomplishment would be no big deal for the local dive crowd. Who knows if that would be the case... they haven't tried.

I must apologize for the dripping sarcasm.

You are right. There was no implication that Rick and I are dummies (we are not), and that my skills are poor (well... that is a matter of opinion).

I did get an implied elitist sense that this accomplishment would be no big deal for the local dive crowd. Who knows if that would be the case... they haven't tried.

It's been done. It's just not been talked about on the Internet.

Something about not kicking a sleeping dog?

I applaud your effort ... but please don't jump to conclusions about what others have done or can do ... or why they choose not to discuss it on a public forum ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Point well taken.

I will keep a sharp eye out for the Washington extradition notice. :wink:

Allen, with respect, you don't seem to be taking the point well at all.

You remind me of the guy who once posted an invitation to go diving the "forbidden zone" at Cove 2, and couldn't understand why people got upset about it.

There's a few places out there that are technically "off-limits" to divers, but are dived by those who know enough to do what they're gonna do without rubbing people's nose in it. Advertise what you're doing, and somebody can decide to start enforcing the laws ... causing everybody to lose access.

That's kind've the point here ... the one I don't see you "taking".

You'd be surprised who reads ScubaBoard. I got a call on Christmas Eve about something I posted here several months ago that ended up being referenced in somebody's lawsuit.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, we made our last dive (for a while) today. The line is no longer connected to the APLP line, but is now a bit deeper around a rock.

I wish you hadn't left it because without ongoing maintainance its not going to be usable in a couple months or less. Experience has shown that APLP and many other salt water lines have gone to pot in short order. It'll just be more ocean trash -probably before spring. The worst wreck for lines is actually the Black Dragon its got crap all over it, cave line, climbing ropes, moorings that haven't lasted a month, its so bad its dangerous to scooter it. I would hate for the MT6 to end up like that.

The lines in the lake are useful for a couple years before they are too brown, cut up, or partly buried to be useful. The lake lines are easier to clean up though, because they don't end up doubling or tripling in volume due to growth on them.

Its our playground out here too and it would be great to reach some sort of common ground on lines and pulling vs. leaving instead of just doing whatever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom