The Ultimate Dive Computer...

Which computer would you choose???

• DIve RIte Nitek He

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • OMS/Delta P VR-3

Votes: 12 60.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ultimate dive computer would allow you to switch mixes during a dive. It would have a long lasting, user changable battery, that allowed you to retain information while changing batteries. It would graphically display all the compartments it tracks. It would display bottom time in hours, minutes and seconds. It would display max depth, current depth, temperature and NDL remaining at all times. It would also serve as a decompression computer for deco dives. A digital display of ascent rate would be a nice feature. Basically, an updated version of the Edge with a few added features.

If you're a tech diver type and/or expect to change gasses on your dives, that puts you in one group of users. If you're basically recreational, then your ultimate computer doesn't need gas switch capability, but air integration is nice, and the more compact size is a plus. My rec computer is the Air-Z Nitrox... tells me everything I could want to know, downloads to the PC, computes SAC rate, and it's got a solid reputation. That said, It is Not up to my tech needs. My tech computer is the Abyss Explorer trimix. I like the dive plan software and the choice of using the RGBM Comp Factor. It's an expensive package, can't imagine buying one if most of what it can do is going to be overkill and perhaps, even be dangerous to the casual user because it has a steep learning curve. It's definately NOT a strap it on and jump in the water and figure it out on the fly kinda computer.

You may want to qualify what you mean by ultimate, a lot of divers love the Suunto Vitek, and for using just deco gasses, the Dive Rite Nitek3 gets a lot of use.

My 2cents

Darlene

The ultimate dive computer would never need a battery. It would know which gasses you have, and would automatically adjust it's profile based on which gas you are breathing. It would incorporate all the latest research into it's algorithms and use common sense. For example, it would include back gas breaks on deco stops, but in a smart way...so on a 14 minute O2 stint it would put the break in the middle, but on a 10 mn O2 stop it wouldn't bother with a break (just an example). It would know that at a gas switch you should do 3 to 5 minutes, and it would know that you went to backgas for the two previous stops.

The ultimate computer would have a completely independent backup, that had it's own powersource and own compartment. It would account for environmental changes such as a particularly cold dive, but only if this affects you...in other words, if you are cold, it will know, but if you are wearing lots of insulation and aren't cold it wouldn't change the conservatism.

The same goes for your level of exertion.

The ultimate dive computer would know if you had to do something strenuous right after the dive, and would adjust the decompression based on this.

If you haven't guessed by now...this computer is called "your brain".

(Sorry, couldn't resist, back to your quest for the ultimate electronic crutch)
:wink:

The DIVE SLATE to tell exactly what your dive plan is so that you don't have to remember everything. (IE you read the slate, turn at xxxx minutes/ or 1/3 gas supply whichever comes first. Be to first stop in xxx minutes and the next stop in xxx minutes and so on.) BTW, don't deviate by more than a couple of minutes or a foot or so or those tables you studied to write your dive plan didn't do you much good. (I am referring to the back-up plans that you had to write down on the slate including your back-gas bailout options.) And make sure to include said tables in your pouch in case something goes wrong.

Sorry, I couldn't resist either. I really do dive in the above method when I do decompression diving, but I use a VyTec to back me up :) and love it. It typically doesn't read that far off my dive plan and can be used as a bottom timer.

The ultimate computer would keep track of the amount of all types of gas currently dissolved (or not) in every portion of your body, among other things :)

Brian, actually I don't bother with all that. All I carry is 2 pages of tables in my wetnotes and it covers everything. I'm not worried about deviating, diving isn't that precise....but in point of fact I'm pretty much dead on for my stops. I usually take 40 seconds from one stop to the next, so only spend about 20 seconds at each 1mn stop....anyway, that's a bit OT for this thread.

Jon, you are right. The ultimate computer would not be a simulation, but a way to actually measure what is happening in your body. IIRC there was a company doing something with a doppler and a computer all rolled in one...problem is that doppler doesn't really give you enough info.

The problems with that computer would still be the same as with all the other computers, except for a couple of points. I would say it's still better to listen to your body and learn about deco.

Dive Rite He is $949, and in stock, at www.northeastscubasupply.com. I just got mine and plan to hit the water with it on Sunday. I bought mainly due to the reputation and success of the Nitek3.

Well, what I am doing is technical diving, getting into Trimix probably this summer or fall, and I want a full featured computer.

I still plan on cutting tables for every dive, as I do right now, when I go to Trimix. I like the VR-3's capability of making tables, and giving lots of info, and the use of different gas mixes.

The Dive Rite He has alot of features also...

WHat I wanted was what I originally posted: People's opinions that have actually used these two computers!!!!!!

DOnt people read the original post when replying????

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...
DOnt people read the original post when replying????

This is Scubaboard!! The subject line is all we need to read :)

Hands down.....the ULTIMATE DIVE COMPUTER IS................................................................................................................................THE ONE BETWEEN YOUR EARS! DSAO ZG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom