The untold part of the Thai cave rescue story (when egos collide)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

John and Rick (and the CDG guys) are expert sump divers and have probably done more exploration in difficult conditions than anyone else on the planet. Over decades!
In no way anybody is disputing that, nor saying that R&J are incompetent etc; their skill is the reason why they were called

they [R & J] don't spend their time bragging on youtube channels, blogs or constantly post/sell on facebook.
Neither do those two EU guys constantly post or sell on FB how they are the greatest on the planet
As far as I am aware, there is just this one documentary that talks about what they did, which pales in comparison to how many films/interviews there are featuring R&J. (I know R&J are invited, as opposed to organized those interviews)

I stopped watching and started skipping when he said his drysuit ripped and flodded and it was clear that the whole hour is him and his buddy... why do you think the pros rolled up in wetsuits and OC gear?
My guess, is because the EU guys were there first, they just grabbed what they are used to dive with, showed up, and decided to roll from there. Keep in mind they had zero clue what type of the cave it is etc.

I found it - for the lack of a better word - unjust that the contribution of the two EU guys who laid kilometres of exploration line, when the flow and conditions were so bad that even R&J stopped diving, were swept under the rug. And that R&J contributed to the said sweeping.

... were swept under the rug. And that R&J contributed to the said sweeping.
And you're basing this opinion on a one sided youtube video you found... that's why I said that this is how conspiracy theories get started.

The fact that those European guys were (as it appears) deliberately not credited at all by Rick and John is pretty disgusting
'The fact (you have no idea if it's a fact) ... not credited by Rick and John is pretty disgusting' (insulting towards them based upon a youtube video).

And you're basing this opinion on a one sided youtube video you found... that's why I said that this is how conspiracy theories get started.
What does it matter if the information is on youtube, vimeo, or in a book?

The video gives their story, 99% of other Thai cave rescue videos give somebody else's story. So again, by your logic, every video/interview/film/movie that didn't include the story of the EU divers becomes just "some one sided youtube video" as you call it. That of course would include all the info about R&J achievements as just "some one sided youtube videos" that are here to start conspiracies. Clearly that logic doesnt make any sense

I asked specifically what are the claims that you think are incorrect and you didn't give an answer.

-Did the EU guys not lay the exploration line 99% of the way, when even R&J refused to dive?
-Were they not banned from the cave?
-Were they in fact credited, as opposed to discredited, for their work by R&J?
-Or maybe some other claims are incorrect?

1696082108825.png

Please don't deliberately throw away parts of quotes to make a point.

Yes, if indeed none of the claims that were made in the video can be refuted (by for example showing that John did in fact mention the EU divers in his book that was written prior to the video coming out), then it would be a pretty disgusting way of handling things. Note, that nobody calling R&J idiots or other names, its about how things were handled, as opposed to calling them names.

Not sure if you watched the video by now, but it looks like you think that all that there is happening is the two EU divers bashing and calling R&J idiots. That's not correct.

It has been two pages of discussion now and you haven't answered any of the specific questions, and the only argument that you keep repeating is that the info in that video is garbage because its on youtube and one sided; even though I explained at the very beginning that your logic doesnt hold

Now you are saying that I am personally insulting R&J based on this line:
"The fact that those European guys were (as it appears) deliberately not credited at all by Rick and John is pretty disgusting"
Let me spell out the meaning:
"The fact that those European guys were (as it appears BASED ON THE INFO IN THE DOCUMENTARY) deliberately not credited at all by Rick and John is pretty disgusting". In other words, IF the claims about how things were handled (specifically crediting/discrediting) by R&J are correct, THEN what R&J did is pretty disgusting.

I asked which claims you disagree with and you said nothing. If you know something that can refute the documentary, then please share it, and then we can all start calling the EU divers garbage faqers for making/participating in such a BS documentary.

That is the point of sharing that documentary on a public scuba forum to begin with.

Well I watched it and unless they made up all the footage they sure did some marvellous work,

13 children saved from certain death and all that some people on this thread can do is bitch about someones ego apparently being bruised, that if true may have occurred some where in the middle of this attempt to save the lives of 13 kids........
Maybe before posting complaints, walk a mile in the shoes of the rescuers, both physically, mentally and emotionally. With hindsight, did they make mistakes, sure, we all do.

Back
Top Bottom