There be kelp here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HAHAHA... Yes, I know what a Garibaldi is and also the smaller spotted juveniles. But when you see the juveniles, they always seem to be a couple of inches at least which would indicate some age past hatching from an egg. With the colors matching, I was curious if this was a stage very close after hatching. And since as you said, they sometimes covered whole rocks, which I observed, I thought it was possible they had just recently hatched.

I happen to like this shot... It just happened to get in the frame of what I was taking a picture of.

View attachment 198929

And a juvenile...

View attachment 198930

I happen to like this shot... It just happened to get in the frame of what I was taking a picture of.

I completely understand now...I'm always amazed that every picture of a Garibaldi looks fake....They either glow or just look cartoonish...

And Phil...Where do I find a:D Zebra Goby ?

I completely understand now...I'm always amazed that every picture of a Garibaldi looks fake....They either glow or just look cartoonish...

And Phil...Where do I find a:D Zebra Goby ?

Look past the Garibaldi...

They are fairly common on Catalina, albeit not as numerous as Blue Banded gobies. They're usually skittish and will hide in cracks of the rocks if you even look at them. I found six of them in the same hole at Hawthorne Reef but couldn't get a decent shot.

As Phil said, zebra gobies are indeed skittish. They are also much better "camouflaged" with their thinner band pattern and duller colors making them harder to see.

Nice Series! Dig the Olive Rockfish and the Treefish. Is Merry still out for the count?

Back
Top Bottom