Thermal class vs neoprene thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XfiXit

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello there,
My significant other and myself being newly certified divers are gathering all our equipment.

My girlfriend bought a 7,5mm wetsuit at Decathlon during her OW course, since she could not find a good fit in the rental collection. We figured a 7,5mm would do since we are diving in local (pretty cold) dutch waters, now at around 16*Celsius, 60*Farenheit and getting colder soon. So with good suits we can stretch the season a bit.

For myself however i am searching for a wetsuit without an attached hood, and i came across the Bare Sport S-flex 5mm.

This search got me questioning:
The 7,5mm has a thermal insulation class B, where the 5mm has a thermal insulation class A.

If i research these classes, the 5mm would be way better at keeping you warm, whilst it is way more flexibel (in my thoughts, since its about 35% thinner)

Did we really get such a bad deal on the 7,5mm?
Is the difference in class seriously just in the placement and quality of neck/arms/ankle seals?
Will she really get that much colder compared to a suit like the S-flex? We have around the same cold-tolerance.

Most of the time i overly-research stuff way to much before buying, and she is the one that's like: closest store, does it fit, grab it. This time however i just did not research it because we were in a hurry.

We dont want to spend a lot on thermal protection at the moment, since we dont know if we are going to be just holiday (warm water) divers or also going for frequent dutch (end-season) diving. Hence the choice for the suits Decathlon @140€ and the Bare @180€.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom