They Didn't Peel Off the Sticker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterFox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been diving for just about a year now, time to get my steel tank a vis.

Took it to the dive shop for a vis. When I got it back, they didn't peel off the old vis sticker. Instead they just slapped on a new one right next to the old one. I have 2 questions.

1. Do dive shops usually peel off the old vis sticker? The fact that this dive shop didn't kind of irritated me. Seems to me like they should so the person filling the tank doesn't get confused.

2. I peeled off the old sticker myself. Should I not have done that? Now there's a sticky white residue behind. How can I get this off without harming the tank? Is Goo Gone safe to use here?

Thanks!

Don't get escalated over it.

Who knows why they left it on? Maybe it was a PITA to remove.

Good on you for removing the old sticker. Goo-Gone is fine to use, I do it all the time.

In general you don't want any decals on your tank at all that do not need to be there.

Best,

Doc

We at our shop, Take the old sticker off and put the new one right back in the same place, And if there is any glue residue we clean it off with rubbing alcohol.

Goo Gone is also safe to use!

1. Do dive shops usually peel off the old vis sticker? The fact that this dive shop didn't kind of irritated me. Seems to me like they should so the person filling the tank doesn't get confused.
They should of removed it when they did the vis. Makes me wonder if they actually did the vis.

Most shops / inspectors do. But, I have seen too many tanks brought in for a vis, with multiple stickers still in place like older pieces of lugagge with stickers from every port of call, to believe that every shop does. It isn't a big deal, just a matter of being a little sloppy. I always peel the old sticker off, after asking the customer first, but that is just me. Some customers (only a very few) actually seem to like having multiple stickers from different shops on their tank.
2. I peeled off the old sticker myself. Should I not have done that?
No problem with that at all.
Now there's a sticky white residue behind. How can I get this off without harming the tank? Is Goo Gone safe to use here?
Yes

Our protocol is to remove all stickers to look for pits, dents, corrosion, etc. that could hide underneath.

Face it, most folks doing visual inspections have no idea what they are doing. Unless the inspector has had PSI (or similar) training, they're just going through the motions. I recently had a dive shop manager tell me one advantage to running a shop was he never had to have his tanks inspected.

Lots of shops leave them on. To my immense annoyance.

I take the vis stickers off myself before bringing tanks in for vis.

(I'm PSI certified now, so no more need to bother, but still.)

I anticipated this when I took our first two tanks in for their first Viz. They actually gave me a hard time at the shop for pulling them off. The other two tanks I didn't get around to it and they carefully put the new sticker over the old, offsettting it a bit. I wasn't in a mood to argue with them at that moment about how could they really look for defects with stickers covering 20% of the surface...

Whenever my cylinders go in for visual inspection, I remove all the stickers beforehand...

Back
Top Bottom