thickest wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a 3/8 inch suit once upon a time, that was a standard thickness that was routinely available from most suit makers (mine was Harvey's). That comes out to just shy of 10 mm. You can likely get any thickness you want from Rubatex.

noob2:
hi i was wondering what is the thickest wetsuit you can buy. (this is with out layering)

7mm is most common for thick suits, but you can layer. So 7mm farmer john/jane with a jacket comes to 14mm over the torso. Or you could get a 7mm fullsuit and then add a 3-7mm hooded vest, to get 10-14mm in the torso again. My gf has an O'Neill 7mm wetsuit with a 5mm built-in vest and attached hood, so that's 12mm across the torso. Also Otter Bay Wetsuits sell 12mm custom hoods. They make custom suits too, so maybe they could make one in that thickness... You could also put an ice cap under a regular hood for a few mm of extra protection, plus it'll cover most areas left exposed by regular hoods. In theory you could wear several 7mm wetsuits over each other, but it's not done in practice - I guess you'd lose too much mobility.

My memory is back... I'm pretty sure the professor who dive Antarctica wet back in 1957 was diving a 13mm wetsuit. Keep in mind that back then dry suits weren't readily available.

It's this one...:D
Although technically it's a drysuit.

220px-JIM_suitRoyal_Navy_Submarine_Museum.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom