Think your weekend of diving sucks / Read this!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

and rookie lawyer is gona clean house on this one..
i bet that theres bars or a grate over that opening now.
glad shes ok.
and i commend her in not panicing, and taking that ride that probalt felt more like a ho9ur than 7 minn

Diesel298:
and rookie lawyer is gona clean house on this one..
i bet that theres bars or a grate over that opening now.
glad shes ok.
and i commend her in not panicing, and taking that ride that probalt felt more like a ho9ur than 7 minn

I cant imagine 7 mins of not knowing. Im so glad she made it thru ok.

Is the suction marked on the chart or in the Coast Pilot?

I wonder if someone sucked up against a grate would be able to crawl off and swim away.

I suspect so, although there is the possibility of staying there until the diver drowns. If that is the case, I would expect the diver would be better off with a ride down the pipe.

This will be an interesting case to watch.

Don Burke:

I wonder if someone sucked up against a grate would be able to crawl off and swim away.

I suspect so, although there is the possibility of staying there until the diver drowns. If that is the case, I would expect the diver would be better off with a ride down the pipe.

To prevent suction against a grate, there would have to be a large grate "box" around the opening of the pipe to keep a diver far enough away for the current to be dissipated.

derwoodwithasherwood:
Ummm, yeah, riiiiiight... The diver is at fault because she should have stayed away from the unmarked, unprotected hazard hiding 4,500 feet from shore and sucking a current of 6 feet per second through a 42" pipe. That works out to 21,647 US gallons per minute. Pretty good vacuum I bet. She definitely should have turned around and swam the other way when the current first grabbed her.
The way I read the article, the pipe in question is 2500 feet long, extends 1700 feet into the lake, and is 96 inches in diameter.

Daryl Morse:
To prevent suction against a grate, there would have to be a large grate "box" around the opening of the pipe to keep a diver far enough away for the current to be dissipated.
True enough, if the current was strong enough. In this case, I think 6.7 fps can be fought off to crawl off the grate.

But since there was no grate...oh sorry I didnt mean to get off topic :)

Hats off to this Lady. She HAD to have kept her wits about her to endure a 7 minute tumble in total darkness. If she had panicked I'm shure she'd have drown. She's got my respect.

-Ben

airsix:
Hats off to this Lady. She HAD to have kept her wits about her to endure a 7 minute tumble in total darkness. If she had panicked I'm shure she'd have drown. She's got my respect.

-Ben

I totally agree. I want her wits.

Don Burke:

The opening really needs a cage for just that reason. An intake cage would diffuse the flow and prevent pinning a diver in the flow.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom