Thinking of buying a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexrey

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I love free-diving, but always wish that I could stay down for a few minutes at a time, moving around and looking at the beautiful aquatic life, before heading back up to the surface. So I was thinking of getting a little pony bottle to help me achieve that.

Does anyone know who makes a good pony bottle at a reasonable price (not dirt cheap, but not too pricey either). Is this a good idea, or are dangers that I don't know about? The only precaution I can see with using a pony is to exhale when surfacing quickly, or just surfacing slowly just like you would during a normal scuba. Besides that, I can't think of any other dangers.

If you don't know the dangers of breathing compressed air underwater, you neeed to get a scuba diving certification.

Otherwise, a pony bottel is what it is. Most scuba equipment manufacturers make smaller cylinders that range from 6 cubic feet (169L) to 30 cubic feet (850L) in size. It sound like you want a 6 cubic foot cylinder.

To make it a pony you just add a standard scuba regulator to allow you to breath off of it.

You want prices, search the internet for scuba diving equipment retailers.

Yeah, don't worry I've done my diving certificate. :) But I was just wondering if there were any other dangers besides blowing your lungs from compressed air. I'd never be able to get the bends on a small pony due to short bottom times right?

you should not freedive after scuba diving

"Yeah, don't worry I've done my diving certificate. But I was just wondering if there were any other dangers besides blowing your lungs from compressed air. I'd never be able to get the bends on a small pony due to short bottom times right?"

Wrong.

I use a Spare Air for what your talking about doing all the time. If you have scuba training there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a pony for this purpose.

I find its also a great addition for a day of snorkeling. We keep spare air units on our Kayaks and Jet Skies just for the purpose of having them in the event we want to go for a swim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom