Thinking of going further in my training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am 53 years old . . . I love to dive and liked helping out with new students. I just don't know if it is practical to continue the training at my age. . . . Any thoughts from the board?
I will add to the expressions of support from the chronologically gifted section of the bleachers. I was certified at 52, became an instructor at 59, and continue to be enthusiastic about both diving and teaching diving. It is very practical to continue at your young age.

I will also admit that I am biased - I am fortunate to be associated with a shop where a) I am good friends with the owner and the manager, b) there is a socially active scuba club, c) we have a very collegial group of instructors, and d) i can teach a diversity of courses (OW, AOW, Rescue, specialties, etc), at a volume that suits me.

I didn't start diving with any plans to become an instructor. It more or less evolved as I became active in the shop club, and dove with some of the instructors.

Thanks for all the positive replys. I need to do some soul searching. I will keep you posted. I know that I will be diving with my wife and getting her more comfortable with her new enviroment. As far as skills and mastering them, I have done that and also demonstrated in a pool or open water enviroment. I just don't want it to take the fun out of diving.

I did the PADI instructor program 12 years ago. I'm 56 now. One figure they told us in the IDC was that (I believe this is the correct number) 90% of us wouldn't be involved in the dive industry within one year after becoming an instructor. Something to think about. They were right as far as I was concerned.

But I don't think I would want to teach now anyway. I'm a grumpy old fart and just want to dive my way without worrying about someone else other than my buddy.

I am 53 years old and have made it to the Naui Master Diver level. I started going for Divemaster a couple of years ago and got kind of burnt out after all the class dives at the local quarry and the late nites at the pool and my regular job. I kind of dropped it then and laid low for awhile. During that time I helped with getting my wife certified and then we took a year off due to a really expensive Wedding for my oldest daughter. Lately I have been thinking about continuing my training and going for the Divemaster and or Instructor level. I love to dive and liked helping out with new students. I just don't know if it is practical to continue the training at my age. I still want to help in some way. Any thoughts from the board?

Hi Ivan, I am currently sitting in Virginia Beach about to return to Cebu where I run a very small dive company. I have recently trained a gentleman who was 62 and he did quite well. He was a little slower in the Physical/Watermanship requirements but did exceptionally well while dealing with customers and students. My point is you are never to old to pursue additional training. I assume you are aware that there is not much moneyto be made as a DM or even an instructor, but it is really fulfilling to help people take that first breath U/W. Also, remember that you can continue your training with any agency and be very specific when you discuss your goals(helping out in classes) with whatever LDS you approach...

Cheers,
Roger

Thanks for all the positive replys. I need to do some soul searching. I will keep you posted. I know that I will be diving with my wife and getting her more comfortable with her new enviroment. As far as skills and mastering them, I have done that and also demonstrated in a pool or open water enviroment. I just don't want it to take the fun out of diving.

Should you decide not to "go pro" you can always give something back by actively mentoring newer divers.

I never pursued certification beyond Rescue. Why? I know at least a dozen instructors/DM's that have never used there cert. I know of a couple that tried and kinda failed as the shops really have all the instructors they need. The market is not growing in Denver, in fact I think its shrinking. I think if you were diligent and persistent over time if may work out. You will likely kiss plenty of LDS tail and do a lot of work for little wage to earn the position. I'm betting 90% of the DM's on SB are not working as DM's.

The LDS puts a good face on the training, but in reality its a money maker for them and a dead end for most of the students. Think long and hard before spending the cash to become a pro. Several friends I know kinda regret taking the pro classes even if most will not admit it. It's something they talk about maybe doing when they retire, but its hard to say if any of them really will.

58 year old dive pro here, got first pro credential at age 47. Training at the DM or instructor level can be done for many reasons, from career change to simply gaining additional training. As you have experienced, being a dive pro involves a lot more time filling and loading tanks, setting platforms, filling out forms, and other mundane tasks than it does with more high profile and fun things. Too many people think the day after they reach a DM rating they are going to make big $$ in that role. They may, some day, but not right away. I did the DM training to improve my skills and because I intended to do a lot of diving on my own with my wife/divebuddy Debbie. That is just what we have done, and I have enjoyed leading other divers, and teaching new and continuing ed students, but it's not my primary livelihood. I am proud to be a dive pro, go by the moniker "DivemasterDennis" and encourage you to join the pro ranks. You have been around a while, have real diving experience, and those are good things. Maturity and judgment count for a lot as a dive professional, along with skills, competence, and communication and leadership. You don't have to be planning career change to justify going pro.
DivemasterDennis

No reason you can't teach in your 50's. The question is whether or not you want to improve your own diving skills or improve your teaching skills so that you can give those to another diver. I'm not very familiar with Virginia's dive culture, but is there an opportunity for you to work as an instructor once you've completed if you went that route?

The instructor answer is pretty self explanatory, if that's your path. Otherwise there's a whole heap of directions you can take yourself. Maybe go check out the caves in Florida and see how that suits you? Try new things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom