THIS woman's perspective of Blackbeard liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, I'll admit it up front - I'm a sissy - I like to look "presentable" on occasion - I like a little bit of privacy. Got that out of the way ...

Last week we were on the Morning Star. Our captain was Brandon, cook was Aileen, dive master was Christy, other crew were Carliss, Tim and Wade. About the crew ... Christy gave great dive briefings, Aileen made more food than we could consume, the captain was always ready to share fun facts and chat about just about anything from marine stuff to music. Carliss, Tim and Wade were very helpful in getting me back on the boat! The boat's major failing (in my opinion) is that there's just no place to grab hold when you're getting out of the water and back on the boat. On the right there is the rope that is the tag line (where some boats have a diagonal rail to grab), nothing on the left at all, and then there are the horizontal rails on deck (once you get that far). I'm 5' 1", weigh 120 pounds and I'm 52 years old and I'm not in as good of shape as I thought - so I really had a hard time climbing those steps (7 or 8) out of the water - especially when we had some rocking and rolling going on (which was a good deal of the time). But the crew worked with me and we decided they'd just grab me and hoist me out if/when I had difficulty and it worked fine. I took full foot fins and regret that - I think it would have been easier if I'd had my boots instead of just socks.

This particular boat was one of those referred to as "camping at sea". My husband and I slept in the galley area - which was more roomy but provided less privacy. I did a lot of my changing in my bunk rather than wait for the changing area to be available. My understanding is that there are pros and cons with sleeping in each of the areas. I'm not unhappy with where we were - we had plenty of space and that was nice.

Vanity ... feel free to make fun of me or think how idiotic I am, but I don't think I'll ever do a vacation where I have to look like crap for 7 straight days again!! There wasn't a single opportunity to even dry my hair and look "good" for 10 minutes!! I know I'm not supposed to worry about that stuff - but I really look bad with no makeup and my hair plastered to my head. Also, because it was unseasonable chilly and windy we all ended up wearing our long sleeves and pants pretty much every day - and most of us had only brought one pair of pants - so I lived in the same clothes (when I wasn't diving) for 7 days. It would have paid to check the weather, including the predicted wind directions and speed (if it can be predicted accurately).

It was loads of fun to see sharks and NOT be on a shark dive! By the time that the shark dive came around I had seen so many sharks that it was nearly "old news" - but it was still fun to see so many in one place. The "washing machine" was lots of fun - and I got slammed into the walls a couple of times (not hard - no damage) and tumbled around a few times. The reef in the washing machine area is really healthy and pretty. There were some dives that the reef was pretty beat up - and we're not sure if it's because the lion fish have eaten so much of the young fish or if it's hurricane's or what. These areas are far enough away from main ports that I don't believe it's because divers have damaged it.

All in all, the diving was good. We didn't do the night dives mostly because we were too cold and too old (but there were older people diving at night - wait a minute, I think we really were the oldest there!). We also sat out the last day to let our gear dry (that was the day they did the Blue Hole and some people saw some pretty cool stuff - shark, turtle, wray). I'm glad we experienced Blackbeard's but I'm not sure I'm up for a second time around. There was one woman who was doing her 13 or 14th trip with them!!! It was a good experience. :)

Vanity ... feel free to make fun of me or think how idiotic I am, but I don't think I'll ever do a vacation where I have to look like crap for 7 straight days again!! There wasn't a single opportunity to even dry my hair and look "good" for 10 minutes!! I know I'm not supposed to worry about that stuff - but I really look bad with no makeup and my hair plastered to my head.

I know this is the women's forum but if you don't mind a man's perspective on this.... I personally (and no, I am not weird) .. but I think there is a distinction to be made between looking disheveled because you're doing something sportsy/outdoorsy and looking unkempt because you just don't care. The first can definitely be sexy, the second is always a turn off.

Personally I can really find it attractive when circumstances make a woman leave the makeup at home and just let that natural beauty shine. Some people even look considerably better without makeup and hairspray in my opinion.

R..

Blackbeards is definitely not for everyone. I've heard/read several times "I enjoyed it but wouldn't do it again". I've done it twice, and I'm on the fence about going back, though I have a feeling I'll probably be back at least one more time. I don't particularly understand vanity on dive trips, especially on liveaboards when you're spending so much time in the water that somebody having snot on their face at any given time is more likely than not. Even land based, for me, clean and dressed is about as "done up" as I'll get, but I'm normally very low maintenance anyway. For the most part, with Blackbeards, you leave your vanity in your suitcase at the dock; nobody looks like they just walked out of a salon, but because everybody's having fun, nobody looks "bad".

All that being said, my dive buddy still put makeup on everyday on the boat. I couldn't understand why, but I guess some vanity is possible, you just may have to adjust your expectations.

And I agree, Morning Star doesn't have much to grab onto while climbing back up. I think Pirate's Lady was a bit better in that respect, but it's been a while since I was on that boat.

To me the part that stands out in the report is the lack of grab rails for hauling yourself out. That is inexcusable IMO. Not good enough to rely on being hauled out by the crew, no matter how gracious they may be. How much would it really take to install an adequate grab rail?

How one looks on a liveaboard? Pfft, it's a liveaboard.

+1 on the boat not having grab rails. As for being able to maintain a minimal beauty regimen, I am on the same page as the OP. I have no problem going through the day without a care about how I look, but after 4 - 5 dives, I want to look "presentable" too. I'm not talking about hot rollers and heavy makeup, but a hot shower, blow dry and some lip gloss is definitely on my agenda. I do not enjoy camping on land and I'm sure that extends to being at sea too :) Nothing wrong with that! I know this about myself, though, so I select my dive ops accordingly. I'm a big fan of the Agressor Fleet. Great review, thanks for sharing.

Im not a fan of the sea hag look either. I can happily go days without drying and styling my hair or even having a hot shower doing something outdoorsey that i love. But i need to put on tinted moisturizer. Until i can find a mirror i have huge black glasses and a hat to hide my hag. Once you reach a certain age (big 40 this year) you have to work at that fresh windblow look. Same thing, not expectiing or wanting full hair and make up, but i like to blurr the imperfections, and take my hat and glasses off....

I think one of the places dive boats should focus more attention in general is ladders and exit structures. Being like the OP, short and not exactly young, I find many boats not set up very well for me. The rise on ladders is often a huge challenge (rungs too far apart) and handholds, when present, are often above my reach or not angled properly for good pulling.

I was VERY impressed when I gave some feedback to the owner of the MV Tala regarding his ladder, and when we came back to the boat a year and some later, he had CHANGED it and made it MUCH better. So I think maybe sometimes the boat owners just don't realize the problems, because they aren't our size.

I'm lucky with the makeup and hair thing. I'm old enough that nobody is ever going to whistle at me again, so I can just relax and enjoy being on a boat where EVERYBODY has wild hair and a naked face.

I have nothing to be vain about so that was no issue on my trip. Heck, I didn't take a single shower while on board and no one edged away from me topside.

Not sure I understand about the exit problems. I'm 65 (soon to be 66) and didn't have any trouble exiting on the ladder.

"Camping at sea" isn't for everyone, but I definitely enjoyed my trip. Does sound like you got more weather than we had on ours. Heard that the summer trips can be amazing with the flat calm weather prevailing.

I'm lucky with the makeup and hair thing. I'm old enough that nobody is ever going to whistle at me again, so I can just relax and enjoy being on a boat where EVERYBODY has wild hair and a naked face.

Guys have some advantages. As soon as I retire, the beard is coming back to cover up the Shar Pei wrinkles, and I don't have a lot of hair left to worry about.

Not sure I understand about the exit problems. I'm 65 (soon to be 66) and didn't have any trouble exiting on the ladder.
For a shorter person the spacing of the rungs and where grab bars are located is crucial to getting out of the water easily, or at all.

Back
Top Bottom