Those with BP/wing setup: How do you wear your weight belt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...under the crotch strap. If you do need to ditch the weight, you can just undo the harness (like Uncle Pug mentioned). I'd be worried about it slipping off if over the crotch strap assembly. Just seems like it might slip off if you don't have it adjusted properly, and once it gets wet.

I'm going to do some experimenting with tank weights here soon.

If you have ever tried to put on a weight belt on a small boat in 4-5 foot swells, AFTER you have put on your tank/crotch strap, you will know it aint easy. After you try it a few times, and get cursed out for bumping into people, and generally looking like a fool, you will do what I did:
1. Get rid of the Crotch strap : or
2. Put Weights on first, and deal with the ditching issue.

For as little weight as you are using, why not just put them on the BC waist strap? They are not ditchable, but you won't forget them & nothing new to buy.

Years ago I went with shoulder suspender harness weight systems and have no reason to go back to weight belts. I basically have about 2/3 of my weight in the harness, and trim depending on suits, gear, etc into clipped on rig pockets. Just about everything is ditchable if desired, but in stages. Harness can be emptied, or with quick release on shoulder and waist, can even come out from under rig. I stopped using the crotch straps about 25 yrs ago. I dive harness with wet suits, and drysuits. As I have gotten older I have "packaged" the weight so that I don't kill myself hauling out an all inclusive package. Ever put a SS BP rig, doubles, trim weights, double regs, battery cannister, etc., on a scales?

For smaller boats, and inflatables, I roll out of the rig (with some air in it), and without all of the weight in the harness float on surface, exit, and pull rig in after. Also frequently don rigs in water. Of course this practice usually isn't done from charter boats, etc., rather from one's own boats.

neve once bubbled...
Wow, great suggestions, guys! :kissy:

I think I may try wearing the belt on the outside pf the harness/crotch strap. I thought this was not an option - my instructor told me to wear it on the inside, and being a good, obedient student I had to comply :)

One of the reasons this was prolly suggested by your instructor, was in the event that your weight belt accidently released, the crotch strap would catch it before you lost it.

If you need to remove the weight belt and you cant pull it clear fromt the crotch strap, follow UP's suggestion and release the waist strap as well.

I have tried wearing my weightbelt both over and under my harness and crotch strap. Wearing it over works much better for me both in terms of comfort and ease of ditching weight.

-Klaus

When I started using a SS back plate I wore a weight belt over the harness with only one weight on it, as I believed that I had to have something to ditch.

Later I decided that one small weight was not really going to make that much difference, and opted for the lighter AL back plate with integrated weight pockets.

The weight pockets fit over the belt and bolt to the back plate, they are quite easy to release, and don't move on your hips, they are only slightly wider that without. And for now (open ocean diving, with single tank, warm water) they fit my needs, in the future I can remove them, should I change the type of diving I do.

I really like the light weight of the AL back plate as I have to travel to another country to dive. And the gear bag has become quite heavy over the last year.

Two cents worth.

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom