Thoughts on my new equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is this a good kit to start with?
That depends.

1. What were you told when you bought it?

2. What do you really want to know, in asking the question? (I think you simply want reassurance that it is not 'bad'. Don't worry - it isn't.))

3. Why did you buy the specific items that you bought?

Gear doesn't make the diver. A good diver can dive with almost any gear. Knowing what I know today, I wouldn't buy what you bought. But, I did buy a Zeagle Ranger as my first BCD.

I only hope you didn't spend the full retail price of any of this - not because it is 'bad' - it isn't. But, because, if you did, you paid a LOT more than you needed to pay in order to get a set of gear that you could use now, and grown with. The extra dollars could have been applied to dive trips.

Hi:

Congrat.s on your 1st post on ScubaBoard running into one of the forum pet peeves; people asking for opinions of gear they've already bought, which some tend to regard as silly since it's too late for input to impact your buying decision.

I disagree; even after I buy a computer, car, piece of scuba gear, etc..., if I run across a review of it online, I'll probably take a look. Even if I'm going to keep it regardless, I like to get 3rd party perspectives on my purchases. To each their own.

Let me take a stab at your stuff:

1.) Zeagle Ranger BCD. Zeagle is a strong brand name. I'm told at least some of their BCDs use a ripcord system for integrated weight release which has to be rethreaded after you ditch weights. Some prefer this system, but if your BCD has it, be aware and learn how to use it. For a critical discussion of the Zeagle Ranger drawing on different perspectives, read this recent thread by TS&M, one of the board's most respected posters and also involved in training scuba students. I have not dove a Zeagle; I dive a Sherwood Avid.

With BCD's, you've got jacket as probably the most common product people start with, rear inflate models as an option, and then back plate/wing systems - which are modular, customizable and what a lot of technical divers use. Many people on the forum like BP/W systems for recreational diving, too. It's said to lend itself to superior horizontal trim. If you want to read extended debates over traditional BCD vs. BP/W, set aside a few hours, use the forum search function, and don't be surprised if your eyes glaze over and drool trickles from your mouth. If you're still conscious after that, do a search and start reading the debates over split fins...

I think you got a good BCD. Might be bigger than you need, depending on what kind of diving you plan to do. If all your diving will be traveling to the tropics, that's different than diving in cold water in a 7 mm wetsuit with hood & gloves and a big steel tank with a lot of weight to get down...

2.) Reg. - Atomic B2. I use one. Atomic Aquatics is a strong, reputable brand name. Be mindful that their reg. have a longer service interval but do not submerge both 1st & 2nd stage unless pressured, or water can enter the 2nd stage and head up the hose to the 1st. It's a trade-off.

Regulators can be had from a number of reputable makers; Atomic Aquatics, ScubaPro, Apeks, HOG/Edge, AquaLung... People can argue maximum bang for the buck, but you did fine here. Probably paid through the nose a bit for it, but you got a good product.

3.) Octo. - Atomic Z2. This is what some would've gotten for your primary reg., since the different Atomic models are said to breathe about the same. Some people buy cheap octo.s that are 'good enough' (may not breathe well, but you should make it to the surface), and some prefer the octo. be equal to the primary regulator. I think you got a good product here. Probably paid for the privilege...

4.) Oceanic Worldwide Pro Plus 3 - a reputable console dive computer with user-replacable battery, big display, option to download dives to PC, air-integrated, choice of algorithms, in a nut shell, a fine choice. The Geo 2 is a nice non-air-integrated wrist unit that's a snazzy little number and gives you depth, NDL and dive time I would assume on your wrist. Some people like air-integrated wrist units, some people don't, you did fine.

If you get product envy looking at other choices after the fact, it's like this...

Instead of a PP3, you could've gotten an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 2. Several hundred more, much nicer interface I believe, built-in dive log is huge & built-in rechargeable battery is a nice feature.

Instead of a PP3 & Geo 2, you could've gotten a LiquiVision Lynx, or similar big screened color LCD or OLED air-integrated wrist unit. But if you read up on them, pay attention to how fast they plow through batteries, people griping about how the little tray for the rechargeable battery for a Lynx has wires and looks a big fragile, and so on.

You asked:

is this a good kit to start with?

Yeah.

Richard.

P.S.: Welcome to ScubaBoard.

---------- Post added August 20th, 2014 at 10:57 PM ----------

P.S. #2: I didn't mention side-mount BCD type systems. Not something you'd likely start out with, though technically it can be done.

OK I'll be the smart one I offer you $200 for all of it you must buy brand x stuff because the brand y stuff you bought would get you kicked out of the secret scuba club.

In reality I can't find fault with anything you have. However you will find as you dive there will be things that you will replace for other brands or styles. I recently went through my closet and put almost all of the original set of gear I started with up for sale.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom