Thoughts on the differences between my two Rigs (Ike & L & M)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill,

I really do love your real world insights into the CA marine life and diving out there. But where have you ever seen "welds" on a MOLDED Ikelite housing?

This nonsense about metal being better is something I always get a chuckle out of. Not throwing flames but I hope when mo2vation is somewhere and the USB all electronic PCB dies and he can't make photos he doesn't have buyer's remorse....

For comparison here's a recent real world use by none other than Norbert Wu, making his LIVING shooting pics.

Norbert Wu reviews three underwater housings for the Nikon D200 :: Wetpixel.com

Also, as before when I've gotten myself in trouble defending Ikelite as a great product at any price, here's a photo of a group I was with last week in Cayman. 10 or so housings, 15+ strobes, etc. that somehow survived boat dives, shore dives, crashing into ladders, etc.

Who'd a thunk how good plastics could be?

YMMV

dhaas
David Haas Underwater Photography

Attachments

• IkeliteShootersCayman2007.jpg
    IkeliteShootersCayman2007.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 63
drbill,

I really do love your real world insights into the CA marine life and diving out there. But where have you ever seen "welds" on a MOLDED Ikelite housing?

This nonsense about metal being better is something I always get a chuckle out of. Not throwing flames but I hope when mo2vation is somewhere and the USB all electronic PCB dies and he can't make photos he doesn't have buyer's remorse....

For comparison here's a recent real world use by none other than Norbert Wu, making his LIVING shooting pics.

Norbert Wu reviews three underwater housings for the Nikon D200 :: Wetpixel.com

Also, as before when I've gotten myself in trouble defending Ikelite as a great product at any price, here's a photo of a group I was with last week in Cayman. 10 or so housings, 15+ strobes, etc. that somehow survived boat dives, shore dives, crashing into ladders, etc.

Who'd a thunk how good plastics could be?

YMMV

dhaas
David Haas Underwater Photography

Ikelite makes an excellent product. I hold them in the highest esteem. I've beat their stuff week in and week out for years through conditions you 303'ers never see at home or on your hosted 50-and-over bathwater Caribbean get-aways. They make an excellent product.

But it has limitations, specifically ergonomic limitations that cannot be glossed over, even by an Ikelite dealer such as yourself.

The handles and tray are shaky. This is also a fact. You need two hands (i.e. remove one hand from where it was to cross over) to change the sun-command dials. This is also a fact.

They are an entry level housing. An excellent housing, but an entry-level housing inasmuch as they're the cheapest legitimate housing available and are usually the starting point for new DSLR shooters. I don't know as many as you, but I do know many, many DSLR shooters - and nearly all of them, when making the jump from P&S used Ikelite as their first step. Again - its a fine housing.

Nobody's dissing Ikelite. Nobody's dissing "plastic" - the only one offering anything negative here (apart from the Nikonos bulkheads, which do blow) is you and your projecting doom and gloom onto an electronic housing.

Nice post, Ike dealer.

Yeah, you'll be my first call when my electronics fail and I have buyers remorse.

Nice. :rolleyes:

---
Ken

mo2vation, (Ken)

Didn't mean to diss your new toy. I SOLD L&M in the past, too. And I sincerely hope you are happy with it and get stellar pics.

I just wanted to, as you, express an opinion. Did you even read Norbert's piece? I'm not saying one is better or worse. Just wondered reading your review how much more capability you feel will translate into a jump up in photos. As I've said many times, mostly more time in the water will equal better pics.

By the by, I've done plenty of cold water deep Great Lakes wreck dives, British Columbia open ocean dives off Port Hardy, San Clemente, Guadalupe being beat by Great Whites, etc. Just because I live in area coded 330 (Ohio, is that what you mean by 303'ers?) I think after 38 years of active diving all over the world I also know what holds up.

I just find it funny only some dissenting opinions are OK, but others are deemed as doom and gloom.

No worries and good luck.

dhaas

P.S. - One hand shot below. I do it all the time even at my ripe old age :)

Attachments

• OneHandShooting.jpg
    OneHandShooting.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 53
Wow, Norberts review sure leans heavey in favor of the Ike!

Very interesting stuff here! :rofl3:

And to add...that Ikelites are made from Lexan and not the everyday plastics.

"Lexan is similar to polymethyl methacrylate (Plexiglas/Lucite/Perspex) and is commonly described as acrylic in appearance, but is far more durable, often to the point of being described as "bulletproof" (depending on the thickness of the sample and the type of weapon used)."

"Lexan is used in the aerospace industry for aircraft canopies, windscreens and other windows."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom