Thoughts on the Garmin Inreach Messenger?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shafqat Ahmed

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I take 1-3 trips every year where I have no cell reception - liveaboards, remote vacation resorts, "castaway/Robinson Crusoe" experiences. I had been planning to buy a Garmin Inreach Mini 2 but saw that the Messenger just came out last year. Anyone have advice on which might be more useful in a boats and islands context? Leaning towards Messenger for longer battery life + lower price.

For divers the inReach Mini 2 is the better option. Buy the dive case to go with it and then you can bring it in your pocket on every dive. That way if you end up lost on the surface away from the dive boat you can call for rescue.

For divers the inReach Mini 2 is the better option. Buy the dive case to go with it and then you can bring it in your pocket on every dive. That way if you end up lost on the surface away from the dive boat you can call for rescue.
Hmm interesting. Couple counterpoints (just debating for the sake of synthesizing all this info) I'd love your thoughts on:

1. Should be pretty easy to put the InReach Messenger into a generic dive case, since it's smaller, so seems like that's not a decision maker, right?

2. If you're worrying about being lost at sea, wouldn't you want a PLB or EPIRB instead of a satellite messenger? (Stronger signal, radio capabilities so nearby boats can respond, etc)? Basically something like a Nautilus Lifeline or better?

Hmm interesting. Couple counterpoints (just debating for the sake of synthesizing all this info) I'd love your thoughts on:

1. Should be pretty easy to put the InReach Messenger into a generic dive case, since it's smaller, so seems like that's not a decision maker, right?

2. If you're worrying about being lost at sea, wouldn't you want a PLB or EPIRB instead of a satellite messenger? (Stronger signal, radio capabilities so nearby boats can respond, etc)? Basically something like a Nautilus Lifeline or better?
1. Yes, the Dryfob-XL should fit it.
2. Endless threads on that here on SB. Pros and Cons to each of the three systems.

Size is one consideration. If you have a Garmin Descent, there may be another. The Mini2 is compatible withe the Descent, so it can be operated from the watch inside the case. So, you could have it clipped to your shoulder strap, and operate from your wrist.

Garmin.com doesn’t list the Messenger as being compatible.
You are talking about a couple different devices here. A PLB/EPIRB and a Nautilus Lifeline.

The InReach is probably most comparable to the PLB/EPIRB as both use satellite COMMS. The PLB/EPIRB broadcasts to a network that is monitored by Coast Guard or equivalent SAR group. The InReach uses a network that is monitored by a private entity. Distress signals would need to be passed on to Emergency services. I think this was likely more of a concern before Garmin acquired InReach. The InReach allows users to send messages (and receive) not just for emergencies. ACR does offer sending messages to up to 5 contacts for an annual subscription, but it’s not nearly as advanced as the InReach from a messaging point of view. As I understand it, you need to preconfigure the message and use the self test functionality to send it.

Some of the newer EPIRBs do allow for communicating with nearby boats via AIS, but I’m not sure that functionality has made it to PLBs just yet. AIS is more common on commercial vs. recreational boats. So, depending on the area you could be reaching many boats, or just a few. The older Lifelines used VHF and DSC which is on most boats, though still not a perfect solution as many recreational boats don’t have DSC, or if they do, don’t have it networked to their plotter.

Currently no one solution is perfect. However, any one of them is better than nothing.

Size is one consideration. If you have a Garmin Descent, there may be another. The Mini2 is compatible withe the Descent, so it can be operated from the watch inside the case. So, you could have it clipped to your shoulder strap, and operate from your wrist.

Garmin.com doesn’t list the Messenger as being compatible.
Correction. It appears that this is the case of Garmin not getting everything updated. When viewing the Garmin Descent, the Messenger is not listed as a compatible device. However, when viewing the Messenger, most of the Descent line is listed as compatible. MK1, MK2, MK2i, and MK2s are listed. The G1s are not listed, though I suspect they may be compatible as well as they are listed to work with the Mini2.

So, a Messenger in some sort of dive housing should work, provided the signal can pass through the case.

1. Yes, the Dryfob-XL should fit it.
Garmin In Reach Messenger at 2.5” x 0.9” (63.5mm x 22.86mm) fits comfortably in the DRYFOB-XL. Just wanted to confirm.
Thanks for mentioning the DRYFOB :)

I have a garmin mini and have used it for years with no issues. In no cell coverage areas regularly here in colorado.

Garmin In Reach Messenger at 2.5” x 0.9” (63.5mm x 22.86mm) fits comfortably in the DRYFOB-XL. Just wanted to confirm.
Thanks for mentioning the DRYFOB :)
One of our users was gracious enough to share the following link for sizing. Even spare room for car keys, a whistle, spare batteries .. and more.

1698877636732.png

I can't speak to the diveability of the devices but i used an InReach for about 5 years while working in South America with no cell service. The device allowed me to keep in contact with family while i was there. Coms weren't instant like they are with text messaging but they were quick enough for conversation.

Coverage was good most of the time. If the signal got bad I'd just wait a few minutes and i guess it would acquire new satellites as they came into view.

I never had to use the distress button so not sure how that worked.

If i were traveling overseas I would definitely take it with me again.

I would suggest buying the unlimited monthly plan by the month and make sure you cancel when you get home. Sometimes they have an auto renew things in there when you sign up.

I have also thought about getting these for other family when hurricane season rolls around. When all all signal is down you have no way to contact each other but with these you would have basic coms. Just Bluetooth to your phone and go.

Back
Top Bottom