Thoughts on whole dive group surfacing when one of the group reaches 1000psi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, but it is their boat their rules, and the Captain has the final say. Butt heads with the Captain, refuse to follow orders and you will find yourself handcuffed at the dock.

I would think that would be very stupid for a dive boat captain to do and I'm pretty sure a six pack captain does not have arrest authority. Also I haven't been on a dive boat yet where you did not sign a document waiving the dive boat, dive shop, their families and all future members of their families from everything under the sun, water and on earth.

I agree, but it is their boat their rules, and the Captain has the final say. Butt heads with the Captain, refuse to follow orders and you will find yourself handcuffed at the dock.

Cool story, bro.

Yep. I'd bet everyone remembers the story about the diver who received 10 lashes and was keel-hauled when he returned to the boat with ony 400 psi.
Yarr mate, Im telling ya, those scarrs are still botherring me..

But seriously, if a DM gives you the thumbs up, it's time to surface. There MAY be a good reason that you don't know about. That signal is a command, not a suggestion.

Afterwards, if it turns out to be bogus, you can discuss it and decide if you'll ever dive with them again.

But seriously, if a DM gives you the thumbs up, it's time to surface. There MAY be a good reason that you don't know about. That signal is a command, not a suggestion.

Afterwards, if it turns out to be bogus, you can discuss it and decide if you'll ever dive with them again.

That signal is a command within a buddy team. Unless something has been established in the pre-dive briefing about the DM/guide terminating the dive, when I see a guide/DM give the thumbs up, I will probably watch him and his buddy ascend before I continue my planned dive.

That signal is a command within a buddy team. Unless something has been established in the pre-dive briefing about the DM/guide terminating the dive, when I see a guide/DM give the thumbs up, I will probably watch him and his buddy ascend before I continue my planned dive.

Then you may find yourself impeding getting a fellow diver to medical care. Or there may be a danger of which you are not aware.

If you're diving with an operation that has an in-water DM, a/he's part of your "team" and that signal is a command.

Unless it was established ahead of time, I don't think the DM thumbing the dive is the same as a general recall. I'll agree that if you hear/see a general recall signal you'd better get your ass to the surface, but without more a DM's thumb doesn't carry that kind of weight.

The idea that a thumb is a recall has a few problems: first, it would be a pretty ineffective means of initiating one and there's a reason beating the Hell out of the ladder with a wrench is generally used. Second, if you hear a general recall you'd better get out ASAP, which to me means blow off any non-essential delays like safety stops.

If someone general recalls me just because they want to exercise their perceived authority to end the dive, I'll still be out of the water right away. But if I get back on the boat to find there's not an emergency that justified me blowing off whatever approach I'd usually take to exiting the water, they'll spend the rest of the trip back to the dock getting their ass chewed off followed by complaints to their shop owner, BBB, certifying agencies, and any insurer I can track down.

There is a specific sign for GET THE F**K OUT OF THE POOL! and its two crossed arms like an X and quite possibly accompanied by or shortly followd by the sound of a ladder being mauled into a piece of scrapmetal..
The thumbs up is not even only a suggestion, it is also, untill returned, a QUESTION..

Just a follow up
We submitted a written request for a refund for the first dive and have not yet had a response as to wether that request has been fulfilled. We have had some correspondence with Lahaina Divers and they did not even give us as much detail as their post here, which to me looks like a damage control measure. I emailed again tonight to see if the have granted the refund.
This is the first time me or my partner have made to surface in this manner and will definitely make us ask more questions before booking.

I did this dive with lahaina divers las Christmas and did have some problems half way through the dive. I signaled the DM (Josie) and she watched me go to my safety stop and then on to the surface for pickup. There was no such rule in my trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom