Three Tree North

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been diving with Bob. He considers breathing optional :)

NWGratefulDiver:
Lowell ... why don't you, me, and Tim go diving together sometime. Perhaps I can give you some pointers to help you work on improving your consumption rate.

FWIW - I'm a pretty big fellow .. 5'9" and almost 250 lbs. ... so it's not completely about physiology. There are some techniques to improving your consumption rate that can help anybody ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm in, but if you have been following the thread on Northwestdiver.com then you will know that Lowell is currently "beached." I am sure that he will chime in on this thead at some point.

Sounds like it would be great to dive with you. I am waiting for my dry suit to get here so I can be comfortable again. Lowell may use the air, but I get cold. So, I guess we are even.

Thanks for the offer to dive, we will have to arrange it.

Tim

Bob-

Nice photos---can you point me where to look regarding getting my SAC rate down / techniques?

I've got my weighting trimmed out pretty well, limit my movements, and generally avoid spaghetti arms, so I am curious as to what else you've done? I don't use outrageous amount of air, but I've also met folk who use much less air than I do---she was 5'2" & 100lbs, so I wrote that off.....

It was pretty funny actually, Christy would surface just so the rest of us wouldn't have to wait. It took me a week to figure out that she wasn't even close to being out of air.

Thanks - BF

Bob-Those are oustanding shots! I'm amazed at the quality of that point and shoot!
Just phenomenal....I love the octos,and the bottle shot!World-class!
Thanks for posting those!

Drew

Drewpy:
Bob-Those are oustanding shots! I'm amazed at the quality of that point and shoot!
Just phenomenal....I love the octos,and the bottle shot!World-class!
Thanks for posting those!

Drew

Actually, it's at least as much, if not more, the photographer than the camera. Bob has an excellent eye, as evidenced by the octo-in-the-bottle shots.

-Valerie

Bob,

Thanks for the invite for me and Tim. As Tim so kindly pointed out, I'm not diving right now becuase I'm suffering from a sinus infection. Yes, suffering is an appropriate word. Since my certification in September, this is the longest I've been without getting in the water. The withdrawal symptoms are getting seriuos...

Anyway, we'll PM you and set up the dive. It may be a few weeks...

Thanks again.

Lowell

huskychemist:
Bob,

Thanks for the invite for me and Tim. As Tim so kindly pointed out, I'm not diving right now becuase I'm suffering from a sinus infection. Yes, suffering is an appropriate word. Since my certification in September, this is the longest I've been without getting in the water. The withdrawal symptoms are getting seriuos...

Anyway, we'll PM you and set up the dive. It may be a few weeks...

Thanks again.

Lowell
Whenever you're feeling up to it, drop me a line ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Blackfish:
Bob-

Nice photos---can you point me where to look regarding getting my SAC rate down / techniques?

I've got my weighting trimmed out pretty well, limit my movements, and generally avoid spaghetti arms, so I am curious as to what else you've done? I don't use outrageous amount of air, but I've also met folk who use much less air than I do---she was 5'2" & 100lbs, so I wrote that off.....

It was pretty funny actually, Christy would surface just so the rest of us wouldn't have to wait. It took me a week to figure out that she wasn't even close to being out of air.

Thanks - BF
Blackfish ... it would be tough to say, specifically, what could help without diving with you. Are you local? If so, drop me a PM and we'll work out a dive plan.

There are some things in general that help ... but it sounds like you're on the right track. Sometimes, all it really takes is more bottom time to learn to relax while in the water.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
There are some things in general that help ... but it sounds like you're on the right track. Sometimes, all it really takes is more bottom time to learn to relax while in the water.
I'll add to this that just stop worrying about it was the biggest factor for getting my SAC rate down. I beat myself up for a long time over my SAC rate. Just dive, and don't worry about it. You'll use what air you use, and with more dives you generally use less air per dive over time. We've all been there and done that, trust me on this.

I was Bob's buddy on this particular dive, and I was using a single PST E8-119. I used 90 cubic feet of air on the dive, for a SAC rate of .49. Like Bob, I had a lot of air (well, 32% Nitrox) on my back; my tank was at 3700 PSI after cooling in the water. :D

Bottom line for max bottom time: just dive, and don't worry about your SAC. :wink: Make sure you take Bob up on his offer, too. At the very least, you'll see some cool stuff on the dive.

Jimmie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom