Thrill Seekers Catch Record-Breaking Shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They killed that shark to take a picture and brag. Completely ridiculous and irresponsible. I am a lifelong hunterand fisherman but killing simply for bragging rights is ridiculous. What a senseless thing to do.

I actually went to the great white hunters page and filled in their contact form with comments. Bet after what I said I don't hear back from them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry, have you seen people posing with the coyotes they've shot? Or wolves?

Pets are a red herring in this argument.

I don't think people should be "proud" of what they killed....I am not "proud" when I successfully shop at Publix, and their is nothing prideful related to killing....You need to kill to eat and live, it's a necessary evil of life.

The people that would enjoy trophy killing of a shark....these guys are the same scum that would get their 3 dog limit, if through some quirk, there was a season on golden retrievers.

I don't think people should be "proud" of what they killed....I am not "proud" when I successfully shop at Publix, and their is nothing prideful related to killing....You need to kill to eat and live, it's a necessary evil of life.

I suppose that depends on what they killed, how they killed it, why they killed it, and what about the act gave them their sense of accomplishment.

As a child I was rather proud of cleanly killing my first gray squirrel with an air rifle and turning it into a small pot pie, and I'm still proud of the first boar that I took on foot with a spear and knife after stalking him until he turned to fight. Killing the squirrel was merely a means to an end that involved a riskless exercise in marksmanship, and the sense of pride was in reaching the end goal successfully. I won't call the killing itself a "necessary evil", though, as there's no shortage of squirrels and other creatures merrily eat them all the time. With the boar, the whole point was to kill the animal or be gored trying (though the chops and ribs were delicious) so it was the act of killing itself that provides the source of pride.

This was clearly not about eating the Mako, so my main objection is to the fact that the act of killing was so riskless to the hunters. While I'm sure hauling in a 1300lb shark is no easy task, nobody on the boat put themselves in any kind of serious danger from the shark--their lines were tested against the animal, but they weren't. As I said before, I'm not sure sharks even care enough about a human's presence for there to be any hunting method that would really pit oneself against them in a meaningful way, but if there is a boat and fishing line sure ain't it. And even if there were such a way, maybe it's the case that there just aren't enough Makos left to make such a contest a responsible activity.

None of that makes me think the hooked dog shot is a topical comeback, though. Did they fish for the shark with a dog? If not, you're reaching with the comparison.

I suppose that depends on what they killed, how they killed it, why they killed it, and what about the act gave them their sense of accomplishment.

As a child I was rather proud of cleanly killing my first gray squirrel with an air rifle and turning it into a small pot pie, and I'm still proud of the first boar that I took on foot with a spear and knife after stalking him until he turned to fight. Killing the squirrel was merely a means to an end that involved a riskless exercise in marksmanship, and the sense of pride was in reaching the end goal successfully. I won't call the killing itself a "necessary evil", though, as there's no shortage of squirrels and other creatures merrily eat them all the time. With the boar, the whole point was to kill the animal or be gored trying (though the chops and ribs were delicious) so it was the act of killing itself that provides the source of pride.

This was clearly not about eating the Mako, so my main objection is to the fact that the act of killing was so riskless to the hunters. While I'm sure hauling in a 1300lb shark is no easy task, nobody on the boat put themselves in any kind of serious danger from the shark--their lines were tested against the animal, but they weren't. As I said before, I'm not sure sharks even care enough about a human's presence for there to be any hunting method that would really pit oneself against them in a meaningful way, but if there is a boat and fishing line sure ain't it. And even if there were such a way, maybe it's the case that there just aren't enough Makos left to make such a contest a responsible activity.

None of that makes me think the hooked dog shot is a topical comeback, though. Did they fish for the shark with a dog? If not, you're reaching with the comparison.

This. All of this.

I agree the dog thing is silly. I'm an avid deer, duck, and turkey hunter. Maybe I'm a hypocrite but stringing up sharks for pictures just rubs me wrong.

You know, I spearfished through the 80's and 90's and up till I began shooting video 3 years ago.....In all the time I spearfished, while I enjoyed the hunt, and I definitely was much more jazzed about getting a 80 pound grouper than a 15 pound grouper, or the monster cobia, huge hogsnapper, etc.....this was "my" personal hunt, my accomplishment if I got the fish.....It was never something I cared to show off much on the boat, and never at the dock....On the boat divers ask you what you got, and it has to go to the cooler--so you will have some discussion....from then on, it is Food, not a trophy. There is no bragging about food.

I actually liked the scenes in the movie Avatar when they shot a deer-like animal, or any other prey, and the words and feelings the forest people expressed in the act .....I imagine this was borrowed a great deal from some American Indian tribes...I don't know the exact genesis.... but I think it is a healthier way of approaching the death of one creature, so that another can live.

The trophy concept is the opposite of this, and something I just can't get my head around. Winning a sharp-shooting contest, perhaps....or a skeet shooting contest, sure. Killing to be a great killer is what I think trophy killing is about...if you guys have a different or better insight into it, I would actually like to understand how people can be like this.

---------- Post added June 5th, 2013 at 08:39 PM ----------

THE DOG thing was because the average American just does not think about overfishing. They won't engage. Obviously you do, as a real hunter or spearfisherman, and I am sure you take fisheries management seriously. My thinking was, no one in the general public will "engage" on an endangered species.....and since they don't care about this, then the Trophy aspect is lost as well....BUT, if they imagine a dog being hung for display because of someone's proud killing of it, I think this could engage the average person....I think most would separate the issues--they will know there are major emotional differences between killing a dog and killing a shark--the thing is, everyone knows the dog is a loving pet and the Shark is a thoughtless killing machine -Except that it is NOT. While it is unlikely I can get you to go on one of Jim Abernethy's Shark dives in the Bahamas, to experience this for yourself and ABSOLUTELY ERASE AANY DOUBT IN YOUR MIND AS TO THE INTENT OF THE SHARK.... I can pass you a short trailer of a movie that shows an emotional connection between a shark and Jim that is not supposed to be possible for a thoughtless killing machine. Please watch this, I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

[video=vimeo;32782984]http://vimeo.com/32782984[/video]

I think maybe the monster shark hanging at the dock, is a holdover from a distant past, where a dangerous animal was tracked and killed before it could kill any more people in the area....and there was the revenge of the hunters--not so far from the Vlad the Impaler mentality, of a time when Europeans were far less civilized than the American Indians or the Aborigines.
This may be where this behavior comes from, maybe it is only a tiny piece of it...but today, there is no risk or threat to remove....no monster to kill. But some fisherman ( like these guys) might just love to pretend that they did the world a great favor by removing this evil monster from the seas.

+1 for this amazing documentary ! I have the DVD, and everyone who calls themselves a diver, should own it !!

danvolker, I'm actually diving with Abernathy/Scuba Adventures June 15 & 16. Are you around ? Would love to meet you, and shake your hand :)

---------- Post added June 5th, 2013 at 08:39 PM ----------

THE DOG thing was because the average American just does not think about overfishing. They won't engage. Obviously you do, as a real hunter or spearfisherman, and I am sure you take fisheries management seriously. My thinking was, no one in the general public will "engage" on an endangered species.....and since they don't care about this, then the Trophy aspect is lost as well....BUT, if they imagine a dog being hung for display because of someone's proud killing of it, I think this could engage the average person....I think most would separate the issues--they will know there are major emotional differences between killing a dog and killing a shark--the thing is, everyone knows the dog is a loving pet and the Shark is a thoughtless killing machine -Except that it is NOT. While it is unlikely I can get you to go on one of Jim Abernethy's Shark dives in the Bahamas, to experience this for yourself and ABSOLUTELY ERASE AANY DOUBT IN YOUR MIND AS TO THE INTENT OF THE SHARK.... I can pass you a short trailer of a movie that shows an emotional connection between a shark and Jim that is not supposed to be possible for a thoughtless killing machine. Please watch this, I would love to hear your thoughts on this. [video=vimeo;32782984]http://vimeo.com/32782984[/video]

Personally, I understand the taking and keeping of trophies, but don't understand their overt display (I still have the tusks from that boar, but I don't prominently display them and the idea of having its head mounted on my wall never occurred to me for reasons of good taste and practicality). What I consider to be a lack of respect for the shark irritates me, too—but knowing that a vegan would likely feel the same way about where I draw the lines as to respecting animals, I try not to get overly worked up about it. And at least they don't appear to have been getting off on inflicting pain, injury, and death on the animal--just eager to hunt it. They're still not people with whom I'd be eager to share a beer, though.

As for the dog explanation, I'm not a fan of sacrificing credibility with those able and willing to think in hopes of stirring up hoi polloi. YMMV. And while I have no doubts about the intellect and depth of, shall we say, personality in creatures like orcas or large sharks...I also have no illusion that they're as inherently human-loving as C. familiaris.

+1 for this amazing documentary ! I have the DVD, and everyone who calls themselves a diver, should own it !!

danvolker, I'm actually diving with Abernathy/Scuba Adventures June 15 & 16. Are you around ? Would love to meet you, and shake your hand :)
I will be around, and we should go diving!
Email me when it gets close to the days.... dan@sfdj.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom