Thumbs Down to Adventure Scuba at CSSP Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My question for you is, why are you opposed to having the platforms marked under water? seams like 99% of this thread would be null if they were marked under water.

I disagree, while marking the underwater platforms has been an issue for some in this highly entertaining thread, it was not the cause of the issue that prompted the OP to post in the first place. Marking the platforms underwater came up as sort of a side vent, not really related to the original incident at all.

Rhonda

I disagree, while marking the underwater platforms has been an issue for some in this highly entertaining thread, it was not the cause of the issue that prompted the OP to post in the first place. Marking the platforms underwater came up as sort of a side vent, not really related to the original incident at all.

Rhonda

Thats why I said 99%, most of the posts seam to be more around the reservation than the actions by the instructor, I think everyone agrees the instructor didn't act in a proper manner by dive bombing students regardless of the reason.

If the reservation of the platforms and such were not being dicussed the thread would be a lot shorter or look a lot different.

Maybe I should have said 80%

:serenade: Anyone know the lyrics to "Deadhorse?"

The presence of a clean float line, I think, is a good indicator that the platform is in use. Maybe not immediate use, but definitely in use. Reserved or not, I think that signals to someone that may not be the best place to be for practicing skills.

What was described for using a platform when encountered underwater were skills that generally won't tie up the platform for more than 5-10 min. I may be wrong here too, but that is my interpretation.

Yes, if things happened the way described, the AS instructor was wrong. If I had been the AS instructor there I think it would have happened differently. I also think both parties were wrong. We are supposed to be professionals and act accordingly. Both sides failed at that point.

There are at least 3 training platforms bought, paid for, and set by the shops that put up the $$$$. They are in the same general area of the lake. As I said before, you can post all the suggestions here you wish, but if you want something done, you're barking up the wrong tree.

Well I sent an email requesting that the reserved platforms be marked underwater (I mean its not THAT hard to do) and offered to volunteer my time to assist with that if requested.

usually 5 - 10 minutes yea, and as I've said I've never ran into a problem on the platforms, however it appears others have, I do not feel a "clean" line is a good enough idication that a platform is reserved/privately owned.

As for the instructor issue, I've stated my opinion that unless the shop is contacted over the matter it becomes nothing more than a hot air internet rant. I dont' mean that as a slam, I mean that as in, complaining here is going to do nothing if you are truely that upset about it.

edit:

Obviously the floats can be used as in idicator on the surface, for example if your swimming your class out on the surface, but if they are truely reserved as in by shop, they really need to be marked as such under water.

What's really sad is this is just so petty and unprofessional.

That place gets very crowded on the weekends and there are only so many platforms to use.

I don't care whose float is there, mine or anyone else's. We're gonna share. Period. If there's a class on it, I'll wait. If I have a class on it, I expect to be waited on until I'm finished. It's just that simple.

Intentionally drop a class on my head and endanger my students and yours, and I can guarantee there will be repercussions.

What's really sad is this is just so petty and unprofessional.

That place gets very crowded on the weekends and there are only so many platforms to use.

I don't care whose float is there, mine or anyone else's. We're gonna share. Period. If there's a class on it, I'll wait. If I have a class on it, I expect to be waited on until I'm finished. It's just that simple.

Intentionally drop a class on my head and endanger my students and yours, and I can guarantee there will be repercussions.

Well said and right on. Marking, not marking, underwater, on top of water. That really isn't the underlying issue, although it might help to curtail any of these issues in the future. The underlying issue is one that plagues us everywhere. All too often the most basic of emotions driving us are crappy at best. Treating each other like friends and caring for one another is what needs to happen more, but that unfortunatly eludes some.

One more thing, it was said that the OP was unprofessional. I totally disagree with that statement. The only unprofessional here was the jerk that dropped onto another class with a group of people that I'm sure were made nervous by this action, all the time knowing he was doing this. It is absolutely inexcusable and should be investigated and dealt with. The OP was simply there and the wrong place and the wrong time and tried to be human about it.

unless the shop is contacted over the matter it becomes nothing more than a hot air internet rant

I agree that the shop should be contacted and the issue looked into. But I do think this sort of open forum discussion is exactly what needs to happen and does accomplish alot. Mainly, it enables people to have a voice against businesses that treat customers, or potential customers with poor service, and in this case, unprofessional instructors. This isn't the first unprofessional story that I have been witness to with this shop, and the stories and accounts certaintly influence my buying decisions.

**whew**....I'm finished....

After reading this post, I have to thank God, that I don't dive at CSSP, and have never encountered any rude/ outright dangerous(bad days are NO excuse for professionals) instructors, such as the one that was eluded to.

Scuba is supposed to be fun, and arguing over petty crap or endangering students lives by dive bombing them is anything but fun.

That stuff is at the least unprofessional, and definitely reckless disregard for basic safety and well being, and depending on the situation could result in civil / criminal complaints/ investigations. I have no issue contacting PADI or whomever the certifying agency is and filing a formal complaint. The sad thing is all of this nonsense should and could have been avoided by someone just remembering why we are all diving in the first place. To have fun, and share the joy of diving.

I would propose that the instructor in question come out here on the forum and discuss his side of the story. Peerhaps it would clear up a lot of questions and speculation at a minimum.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom