Thursday Night Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I finally got tired of trying to find the release clasps on my Mares fins, and spent a couple of hours last night building and installing some new spring straps as per the thread in "Fins." I can't wait to try them out tonight!

looks preety cool. see ya tonight at 7:00.

Originally posted by MSilvia
I finally got tired of trying to find the release clasps on my Mares fins, and spent a couple of hours last night building and installing some new spring straps as per the thread in "Fins." I can't wait to try them out tonight!

Each pack of springs has 3 in it, so I've got an extra spring, as well as enough plastic tubing, nylon line, and stainless S hooks to make another set. All that's lacking is a single spring and some shrink tubing.

Let me know if you want any of it.

I had a couple of friends from Texas along, who were happy to sit on the beach and watch our stuff and assist with the exit, which was nice. No chance of getting them in the water though... someone told them it was cold.

Gary and I made our entry as the sun was setting, and brought a bag and stick just in case. I made a few good grabs in the half hour window we had, but none of the bugs were quite big enough. I also found it more difficult at night, with a lobster in my right hand, secondary light in my left hand, and a slim chance of either banding a lobster in the dark with my left hand, or banding a lobster in the light with... well, The Force, I guess. I think either ambient light or a more coordinated effort might be best for now.

Okay, I know some of you are probably wondering about the "secondary light" thing. Without getting into specifics, I'll just say that despite a pre-dive check, my primary ran out of electricity fast as a result of user-error. Lesson of the dive: When you take the old batteries out, throw them away before trying to put the new ones in. :blush:

We saw both a winter skate and two torpedo rays, and they're definately slightly different. In addition to the spines and foreshortened tail on the rays, I think they lacked the pair of oscillated spots the winter skate had.

The fin straps were incredible, and I highly recommend them for everyone. Much easier to put on and take off, and while secure they were so comfortable I hardly noticed them.

It was Gary's first night dive, so I'll look forward to him posting a followup as well. Looks like we'll be going again after work tomorrow if anyone is interested!

It was Gary's first night dive, so I'll look forward to him posting a followup as well. Looks like we'll be going again after work tomorrow if anyone is interested!

so much pressure... Yes, thanks to Matt, I am no longer a night diving Virgin. I must say I was a little nervous due to having a new buddy and never night diving.

After a few unsuccessful attempts of trying to get the friends from Texas in the water, we made our entry. The entry was fairly easy due to high tide. We swam out for a little ways and after resolving the backup light issue we descended without incident.

We hit the reef shortly and got more and more comfortable. <plug>Matt was a great dive buddy checking often enough if things were ok<plug>. Looking at the gauges,
And working the inflator hose and light definitely needs some work, but I think it will come in time.

Observing the baby lobsters (a few inches long) and the winter skate and two torpedo rays was real cool. Overall Air consumption was fine.

Again thanks to Matt for handling the navigation and the flag.

The fin modification looked great. I tried them on and what a difference. Alas… another project.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom