Tickle Sticks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tickle sticks are for sissys, its like having a 10 speed bike with training wheels.

salty:
Tickle sticks are for sissys, its like having a 10 speed bike with training wheels.

Well, I do catch more lobsters when I just reach in after them. I don't bother with a tickle stick unless they're really in a deep hole....in which case the tickle stick often doesn't help. You do get those times when you can get around behind the other side of the rock to poke at them. I started learning how to lobster at the beginning of this year with the help of Professor Taytlin ( from here on scubaboard) but you can call him Ilya ( or Mellow Yellow) and now I'm catching them pretty easy and often.
I turn over a lot of ( smaller ) rocks after them too!

John C.

jchaplain:
Well, I do catch more lobsters when I just reach in after them. I don't bother with a tickle stick unless they're really in a deep hole....in which case the tickle stick often doesn't help. You do get those times when you can get around behind the other side of the rock to poke at them. I started learning how to lobster at the beginning of this year with the help of Professor Taytlin ( from here on scubaboard) but you can call him Ilya ( or Mellow Yellow) and now I'm catching them pretty easy and often.
I turn over a lot of ( smaller ) rocks after them too!

John C.

There's plenty of ways to catch them, and the stick has it's place in the quiver. My favorite one is building "condo's" with back doors. Just when he thinks he's deep in the back room, the back door opens. My buddy Jim's private-access dive spot is loaded with condo's. And no one else ever dive there. :D

yak:
There's plenty of ways to catch them, and the stick has it's place in the quiver. My favorite one is building "condo's" with back doors. Just when he thinks he's deep in the back room, the back door opens. My buddy Jim's private-access dive spot is loaded with condo's. And no one else ever dive there. :D

So where is that dive spot...huh? huh?

:bash: tell me! ( kidding....I'm sure you'll keep that secret.)

Built a tickle stick for gf's father I've got to find pics, then I'll load it on here. 2 piece tickle stick used with 1/4'' aluminum. 3 foot long. Took hammer and slightly hammered 3 inches on one end flat. Then bent the flattened section to around 45 degrees. I used stainless coupler nut in the middle and drilled a 1/8'' hole in one end. Threaded a piece of flag reel line and used a "spring clip" like the ones on most mesh bags that keep the loop made by the reel line a certain size. Used a 1/4 20 die to thread the aluminum rod to use the coupler nut.
The reason for it being 2 piece is that you can put it in most bc pockets. I'm working on one for myself that is 3 pieces and uses tent pole style connections.

The OffroadDiver

reefseal:
then there is the dive buddy that loses your tickle stick.. Here hold this for a second.. opps! sorry.. lost stick... Remember that!

Ahh..but scubamaster...grasshopper was just a novice then. Grasshopper has graduated to white belt lobster mauler since joining the Shaolin scuba society.:1poke:

Now if I can just catch more without ripping off the claws trying to yank them out of the holes...that will be sweet! :jestera:

John

LOL! With or without tickle stick, I tend to hesitate or amtoo paranoid when lunge after bug for fear will nip me. You have one grab and have to get the bug then. No second chances..

offroaddiver:
Built a tickle stick.........<snip>........ The reason for it being 2 piece is that you can put it in most bc pockets. I'm working on one for myself that is 3 pieces and uses tent pole style connections.

The OffroadDiver
Interesting concept. I think tickle sticks can be a pain in the *** but folded up in BC pocket, good idea! You should patent it. Might make you rich n famous! :D I'd buy at least one! (extendable car antenna works but not very sturdy) I haven't tried using one of those "noose" type nabbers. You would likely need a visual on the bug to get the loop around him successfully. So it doesn't eliminate the need for a stick. (if said bug is way back in a hole)

Back
Top Bottom