Tilly Tec W40

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ buddhasummer

I saw that TillyTec has written in the manufacturer site, if you find a backup in this category which is brighter and smaller than the W40 you get one without costs.
Thats your chance to get a X1-VB or X1-FF without cost:D:D:D
The X1-VB has 17500 lux and the X1-FF has 21000 lux. Both have a length of 149mm.

Michael

Yes, I am no longer interested in the W40 my questions were not answered. I since found the X1-VB which looks to be better suited to my requirements. Cheers.

@ buddhasummer

I saw that TillyTec has written in the manufacturer site, if you find a backup in this category which is brighter and smaller than the W40 you get one without costs.
Thats your chance to get a X1-VB or X1-FF without cost:D:D:D
The X1-VB has 17500 lux and the X1-FF has 21000 lux. Both have a length of 149mm.

Michael

Michael,

do not give them wrong or incomplete information. You are a competitor and some customer like you products better then ours, some like ours better then yours. That is the way it is, but be fair and give them either the right information or do not say anything.

That is maybe true that both of your lights may have 17500 or 21000 LUX, both of them are not that small like our W40. They may have a length of 149 mm but you forgot to mention the width or thickness.

Ralf
TillyTec USA

Yes, I am no longer interested in the W40 my questions were not answered. I since found the X1-VB which looks to be better suited to my requirements. Cheers.

I wish you long happiness with the X1-VB. May it is the light you were looking for.

Ralf
TillyTec USA

Looks like another modification of DealExtreme W200 light. It's amazing, you can buy so many different versions of this light: The AElight, Tilly Tec, Packhorse's mod, and of course the base W200.

The light is a little large for a backup light IMO, as it does not fit in my BC pocket.

Adam

You are wrong! Not our W40 is a copy or modification of the DealExtreme W200, but the DealExtreme is a copy of our W30 and all others too!!!

I do not have to mention the difference about the quality, do I?

Ralf
TillyTec USA

That is maybe true that both of your lights may have 17500 or 21000 LUX, both of them are not that small like our W40. They may have a length of 149 mm but you forgot to mention the width or thickness.

Ralf
TillyTec USA

I prefer to use the real dates in contrast to some other manufacturer.

If you mean with "small" the volume and not the length of a lamp you should it write.
But i understand you, with this kind of advertisment you need a back door.

Michael

You are wrong! Not our W40 is a copy or modification of the DealExtreme W200, but the DealExtreme is a copy of our W30 and all others too!!!

I do not have to mention the difference about the quality, do I?

Ralf
TillyTec USA

I realized the lights have different LEDs, circuits and specs, but I'm wondering if the case is not the same. It looks identical. Could it be that all these lights are using the same case from the same Chinese manufacturer.

Adam

I prefer to use the real dates in contrast to some other manufacturer.

If you mean with "small" the volume and not the length of a lamp you should it write.
But i understand you, with this kind of advertisment you need a back door.

Michael

@ Michael

You must be really desperate. We know it, you know it, but we at Tillytec do not discuss something like that in the public, but if you want to air one's dirty linen in public, go ahead. I was trying to be objective.

Ralf
TillyTec USA

I realized the lights have different LEDs, circuits and specs, but I'm wondering if the case is not the same. It looks identical. Could it be that all these lights are using the same case from the same Chinese manufacturer.

Adam

I have not seen the W40 although I have seen plenty of W200's.
Do they come out of the same factory? I wouldnt be surprised but I doubt it. They do use diffent optics at the least.

I have seen at least 3 ever so slightly different versions of the W200.

1st I got had no resistors but was direct drive.
2nd I got has an extra O ring sealing behind the lens as well as one around the lens and the larger visible one holding the lens in.
3rd Had resistors.

Oh and some had different machining to the POM body.

The W200 uses what I believe are poor quality O rings that lead to leaks ( I change all sealing Orings in my modded lights).
The early versions suffered from intolerable flickering. I have never powered up any later versions unmodified.
Fix these 2 problems and the W200 is a good value light but still suffers the same major problem as the W40. It only accepts AA's and will not run at full output for long before dimming ( regardless of what either manufacture says).

Guys - peace please :)
First of all, I think it's fair to say whilst mb and tt have their hearty arguments on the web, that both produce brilliant lights. Period. The Chinese copy-cats can copy all they want as far as I am concerned. I am buying a backup light. That's got to work, no matter what. Hence I buy quality, original stuff. Then, if I want to be fancy and have a backup to that one, well, maybe I would consider a cheapo copy, but really, I doubt it. Between mb sub's and TillyTec's offerings, they are different, sure, but I think you can pick whichever one you want, I am sure you will not be unhappy with either choice!

Disclaimer: I have not yet used any mb sub lights but it is evident from other reviews that for example their TwinLED Cave is absolutely stunning, just check out the reviews on RebreatherWorld or GUE's forums etc. I have no doubts that TillyTec's umbilical lights are an exceptionally good alternative as well.

Friends of mine, however, have used the W30 for many months now and are very happy with it. I bought myself a W40 just yesterday (picked it up from a dive shop in Munich who got it in just before our planned dive trip to the Bodensee on this coming weekend) and have so far only tested it ABOVE water (I know, I know...), but it blew me away. I look forward to testing the comparable model(s) from mb sub in the near future (early next year the latest - ice diving!). I wrote a brief review with a couple of pictures on my blog (w w w. bluecodproductions . com ) , so for whoever is interested in seeing a shot of the beam as well as a comparison to another well-known dive lamp, the Seac Sub X-LED (which wow'ed us two years ago - today, not so much...), please have a look at the images.

I am about to buy a lux meter though for future tests, and I hope to be able to get some good comparison shots UNDER water this coming weekend, the W40 against the W30 and against a 12W HID Darkbuster Jr. and some other new GS Schulz LED thing. All depends a bit on the dive circumstances and the willingness of friends to lnd me their dive lamps for this. Fingers crossed! :)

Ralf/Tilly and Michael - rest assured there are probably no other manufacturers out there who build better lamps than you guys. Personally I hope you get similar shares of the market, as some (friendly) competition is great to have for all of us! I also hope AGIR-Brokk remains in the game with it's lights, they've got tradition and build quality as well - just have not got around to test-diving them yet :) (but I do own a similar backup lamp, much smaller (size and volume, but not brighter), the Rat Jr. 2W LED.

All the best & safe diving,
Jonas

EDIT: I am only allowed to use URLs here after more than five posts... so it's (w w w. bluecodproductions . com ) and then on Gear reviews

It's the newest article. This is a private website with personally purchased products.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom