Time credit for turns in the pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I did the 400 yard, the tread, and the 800 yard shortly after each other. That was ok. My scores on the others mean that I need a 3 on the tired diver tow.

Since PADI uses different time brackets for points, in my case training more does not necessarily mean that I would be able to increase my points.

Based on my experience with the 800 yard, I will definitely do the tow without turns. If that doesn't generate enough points, I suppose that I will try to do the 800 yards straight or with as few turns as possible.

Thanks for the input.

Do a flip turn or an open turn. Don't stop. N

You can't do a flip turn or otherwise push off the wall.

I would always recommend doing the 800 and 400M swims in open water to avoid this problem. However if you have to do it in a pool I suggest swimming the CIRCUMFERENCE of the pool instead of the LENGTH of the pool. Much easier to do a 90 degree turn without slowing down - certainly not as much as having to completely change directions and regain momentum.
Easy enough to calculate how many laps AROUND the pool each swim is, as compared to how many laps back and forth.

Not heard of this either. I had the same and I think virtually everybody else does too....

If you think that was tough, wait until the 400m swim w/o mask/snorkel/fins. :eyebrow:

So you got a 2.
You'll get a 5 for the tread - almost everybody does.
You need 12 to pass, so 5 out of the 400m swim and the 100m tired diver tow combined.

Let's say you got a 2 in the 400m, you just need a 3 in the tired diver tow, which is doable - I found it the easiest of the 3 swims.

Hit the pool and get some practise in - you'll do it.......:D

I thought you had to get at least a 3 on everything? At least that was the criteria where I did my DM course.

You can't do a flip turn or otherwise push off the wall.
I see nothing in standards (PADI's, at least) to preclude flip turns or push-offs.

I suggest swimming the CIRCUMFERENCE of the pool
The problem with this is the candidate is swimming some undetermined shorter distance because he is inside the circumference.

I thought you had to get at least a 3 on everything? At least that was the criteria where I did my DM course.
Not in the standards for the last 15 years, if ever. Perhaps your instructor added that requirement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom