Time For A New Wet Suit, Bare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

http://www.tommydsports.com/products/pages/8850.htm

8850.jpg

L - 2XL 89.99

the 5mm I got was super comfy and comparable to the "hyperstretch" that is so popular.

I've always been a ScubaPro fan when it comes to wetsuits, but I just bought a Bare 5/4 Velocity because my daughter dives Bare suits and she really loves them. Unfortunately, the 5/4 I ordered came with a big hole in the shoulder so I had to send it back for a replacement. I'm sure that was just a minor production glitch and certainly not a big deal.

I did have a chance to dive a borrowed Bare suit and I was impressed with it.

Jeff

I did fail to note temperature range "The OP didn't mention his intended temperature range" . In Southern California 50- 60 degree water is vary common.

Does this mean gluing at the material intersections or the entire seam "Going over the suit with a dab of wet suit cement or seam grip at each stitch end puts an end to that issue" ?

Giles45shop, I believe you are the gentlemen I sold the Bare suit I picked up on ebay. Suit was an XL in vary good condition but did not fit me at 6' 2", 230#. Did you figure out which model Bare suit it is? I give up hoping to find something on ebay and am going to buy new.

I love the fit on my Bare suits. I've owned 3 of them.
However, I won't be puchasing any more of them. I've never had a zipper last much more than 1 season.

Tavi:
I love the fit on my Bare suits. I've owned 3 of them.
However, I won't be puchasing any more of them. I've never had a zipper last much more than 1 season.
Tavi,

What year model was the last you purchased that the zipper failed? In looking at the archives I did see you shared your experience with this problem before, but I might add, you are the only person to make note of this problem. I am hoping Bare has resolved any problems with zippers and seams. I have seen quite a few Xcel suits on the boats here in So Cal. They look pretty good. The O'Neill suits look to do a good job of externally sealing the seams. Going to wait on a little more feedback. dawhale

I think the last one I bought was in 2002.

I hope they have resolved the problem.

dawhale:
Does this mean gluing at the material intersections or the entire seam "Going over the suit with a dab of wet suit cement or seam grip at each stitch end puts an end to that issue" ?

Just a 1/2 inch dab at each stitch end.

Pete

I'm currently diving a Bare Arctic 7mm that I bought back in 2005. I haven't had any problems with the seams or the zipper. I have to agree with what Spectrum said about the knee pads. Mine are getting a little nicked up just from kneeling on the underwater platforms.

I ended up getting a vest with an attached hood, like dcs917. The combination works very well. I’ve worn it in water that was around 42 degrees for 45 minutes with no discomfort. I also have to agree with dcs917 on the fit. If you buy the suit to fit snug, it can be a pain to get in to. I'm parting ways with mine because I've put on a few pounds and what was difficult has become damn near impossible.

I think a lot of people dive the Bare Arctic because you get a lot of suit for the money.

I bought the Artic around September and have used it close to every weekend. It is a very comfortable and warm suit. I've worn it in water that was 47F for about 35 minutes and routinely in water in the low-50's for 45 minutes. The knee pads and seams have not gained any noticible wear. Hopefully, the suit will hold up for a long time.

I just got a bunch of bare suits in. The stretch in them is pretty impressive. I think they will be the only suits I carry now. I am putting the rest on the clearance table. If I can help anyone with anything let me know. I don't have most of these new products on my site yet....

Brent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom