Time for New Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver43, I was in your position about a year ago, with 20+ year old fins and the feeling that it was time for something new. Mine were Sherwoods, and generally fine except in currents, when my legs would cramp up a bit. I ended up with the Avanti Quattro Plus after reading reviews.

I did have an issue after my first weekend dive trip - the tops of my feet hurt from pressure from the foot pocket. I ended up adding the strap extenders (provided with the fins) and shoving big winter boots into the foot pockets for a month. I don't know if it was the extenders or if I successfully stretched the foot pocket, but on my next week-long dive trip I had no pain at all and the fins performed great. So, with that change, I'm extremely happy with the fins. Good power, durable build, and the bungee straps work great, making donning/doffing effortless.

James

jameseg thanks for the info, i was hoping to hear from folks that have actually used the equipment that i have been looking at.

JetsAd2.png

I'm a big fan of these UTD fins:
UTD Equipment Precision Fins

Pricey, but they are hands down the best fin I've tried with regard to precision positioning in the water. I'm a video/photo guy so positioning is important to me. I bought the positively buoyant version and it also helps with my trim when diving wet.

Reactions: RJP
I'm a big fan of these UTD fins:
UTD Equipment Precision Fins

Pricey, but they are hands down the best fin I've tried with regard to precision positioning in the water. I'm a video/photo guy so positioning is important to me. I bought the positively buoyant version and it also helps with my trim when diving wet.

How much are they?

$150 for the negatively buoyant, $170 for the neutral/positively buoyant set. But they come with spring straps so that offsets some of the cost.

+1 for the UTD fins
Use them for warm and cold, rec and tec.

If and when my 20 Y/O, $25 USD Blades give up the ghost, I have another pair in my dive locker to replace them.

$150 for the negatively buoyant, $170 for the neutral/positively buoyant set. But they come with spring straps so that offsets some of the cost.

Can you compare them to Jets in terms of stiffness/torque?
I could really use some neutral/positive fins, but have dismissed every other Jet-clone I've tried as not being stiff enough.

most of the jet clones are stiffer...... OMS slipstreams being some of the best, and these fins were marketed by Poseidon first to my knowledge as the Trident fin, and they are stiffer than jet fins by quite a bit. Turtles are floppy, but most of the rest are stiffer.

Like everything that UTD sells, it is overpriced and you can get it elsewhere for cheaper

FWIW those UTD neutral fins are IDENTICAL to the Poseidon fins that have been out for years, and the Hog Tech 2 fins that came out not too terribly long ago. Hog sells them for $120

HOG Tech 2 Fin - Dive Right in Scuba

save $50 for the same fin. Yes they come out of the same factory same mold, different logo on the top. Yes they are VERY good fins, better than jet fins in most every way unless you have a huge foot in which case Jet fins are the only ones that make a foot pocket big enough.
The spring straps are different on the HOG and that is personal preference. Poseidon has identical spring straps but good luck finding them. I prefer the hogs because they bolt on to the fin which is nice but some don't like it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom