Time to invest in a true UWV setup...Advice needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JiveMaster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone,

So, I'm almost ready to invest in a full UWV setup and I want as much input as possible. I'm looking to put together a package that *could be production quality, but at the same time it can't drive me too far into debt!

I will start out filming and selling videos to groups I work with, and eventually some teaching. The reason I say *production quality is if in the future I'm able to turn it into something even more, I would like to have the ability to do so without a whole new setup...

So...the thread is open! Any advice on full setups...the camera, the housing, the lighting systems, the ports, the filters, all of it!!:D

What equipment are you using now? What sort of underwater video work have you done or sold? From your profile info, with 200-499 logged dives under your weight belt, it looks like you are a competent diver, but I need more info on your equipment experience and video background.

Can I ask what you consider to be production quality ?

Are you talking about selling footage to broadcast networks like Discover Channel ?

If so, I believe they don't consider HDV cameras to be good enough.

If you are talking about selling videos to students, dive groups and the general public, a HDV camera like the Sony FX7 will do.

I use an FX7 and Gates housing. I just made a few videos from a 1 week trip in Roatan Honduras.

Follow the link in my signature. Skip the youtube version and take a look at the Stage6 version. They are not full HDV resolution, but should give you a good idea on how the camera and housing perform. If you like what you see, it looks even better watching the full resolution version on an HDTV.

JiveMaster:
Hello Everyone,

So, I'm almost ready to invest in a full UWV setup and I want as much input as possible. I'm looking to put together a package that *could be production quality, but at the same time it can't drive me too far into debt!

I will start out filming and selling videos to groups I work with, and eventually some teaching. The reason I say *production quality is if in the future I'm able to turn it into something even more, I would like to have the ability to do so without a whole new setup...

So...the thread is open! Any advice on full setups...the camera, the housing, the lighting systems, the ports, the filters, all of it!!:D

Hey Jive,

I just purchased my first "real" system. My old camera and housing combo was a canon A85 and a canon housing. A simple point n' shoot but great to get the basics down. Yes, the A85 is a combo still/video camera. I found myself shooting more video with it than stills.

So the new set up is the Sony HDR-HC7 and a Amphibico Dive buddy EVO elite HD housing with the 10W HID light. I leak tested it this past weekend between open water checkout dives ( I teach as well) LOVE the housing. I'll be taking the entire rig in the water thursday night so I will post the video.

Get what you can afford. But if you have plans to move into a more "production" style environment get the "best" you can afford.

My set up cost around $6000. Yes, a lot of $$ but depending on your plans...you could make that back...eventually :)

Have fun and dive safe,

Production quality means a lot of things to different people. But, if you're going to try to make a living with your camera then you'll be looking at:

Camera with manual controls, and either solid state recording, or full sized tape.

Housing for the above camera

HMI lighting

Looks like $8k or more to me. And that's before the editor, monitors, and associated hardware. Broadcast video isn't cheap.

Okay, so i'm not looking at "broadcast" quality...for now I'm just looking for a setup that would be good for making videos to sell to groups...I can't afford one of these 6g setups at this point.

Any recommendations are welcome.

Just wondering...anyone have an opinion on the Sanyo Xacti HD2?

http://www.divervision.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=311

Seems like it *could be a decent/affordable setup that could be used for both video and stills. I'm pretty sure I've ruled it out but wondering what ya guys think...If I went with this I *could sell my Canon G7/Housing.

I'm leaning towards the Sony HDR-HD3/Light & Motion...

ARgggggggggg my head is spinning.

I have a Sony HDR-SR8 and the Amphibico Dive Buddy EVO HD Elite. So far very happy with the set up.
How much did you spend on the whole setup...if you don't mind me asking...?

I'd go with a camcorder/housing combination that has access to manual white balance. I believe Light & Motion and Gates have it for the Sony HC7.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom