Time to replace the 1970s era, Fathom, 7mm Farmer John

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dominick Gheesling

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It is past time to replace my 1970s era, Fathom, 7mm farmer john. I think I may have bruised a rib trying to wrangle myself into it on the last dive.

Not ready to make the leap into a drysuit so I am looking for the best possible wet/semi-dry suit that I can afford.

I am cavern certified, looking to take intro to cave in the fall. So far, the 7mm
farmer john has provided plenty of warmth and I do not suffer from feeling cold even after a few hours in 70 degree water.

I have narrowed the possible replacements to the following choices. I would love to hear some input from those who actually own some of these suits as well as all other opinions before I
make the purchase.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Polar M8

NEOTEK 8/7/6

8/7MM Velocity Hooded Semi-Dry Wetsuit | BARE Sports

7mm John Sport Men's Wetsuit | BARE Sports

7MM Step-in Jacket Men's Sport Wetsuit | BARE Sports

Have you looked at the Bare Reactive? It's just a regular wetsuit, not semi-dry. I have the women's version (the Evoke). The Celiant technology in the lining that reflects your body heat back at you is just wonderful. I have the 3mm and the 5mm, recommended by a friend. I've been warm at 46F at 80ft (for a short time) in the 5mm, and 40 minute dives in the upper 40 to mid 50 degree range are no problem.

The Reactive is pricier than many other wetsuits, but it also has nice, long ankle zippers and is very stretchy. My Evoke is very easy to get into. I know several men who dive the Reactive and they are very happy with it. Some consider the 7mm almost a bit too warm.

Last edited:
Consider a drysuit for its redundant buoyancy ability plus extra thermal protection as your dive length increases. Being cold doesn't help your thinking ability which is kinda sorta important when cave diving.

I was quite happy with the Aqualung SolAfx semidry. It doesn't have integrated pockets which your choices do have. This can be solved with shorts or aftermarket additions.

You can find good used dry suits for what you will spend on a nice thick wetsuit.

I vaguely remember seeing this in an email you had printed out..

"Next up -- thermal protection. Longer dives are going to expose you to drops in your core temperature. From what you outlined, you can probably be fine in a really nice wetsuit for now, but just tuck it in the back of your head that within a year you're going to be buying a drysuit."

Keep in mind that a 7mm suit from the 70s has (I think) very different neoprene that the modern suits have. Your old suit probably doesn't compress nearly as much at depth as these modern super stretchy suits, do.

I don't really KNOW, but I would not expect a modern 7mm in the same configuration to be nearly as warm at depth as your old suit. More comfy and a lot easier to get in and out of? Yes. As warm? I really doubt it.

I remember the farm john suit my dad use to wear when I was kid in the 70s and he was diving the Aucilla river and various caves. That neoprene was way more "dense" than modern stuff. And I think it was "skin-in", too, which also contributes to making it warmer (than modern stuff that has a nylon layer on the inside and outside).

I would take a decent-fitting drysuit over wearing my 7mm any day of the week. And you can even get a brand new drysuit these days for pretty inexpensive. My LDS is carrying Mobby's now. They are selling made-to-measure trilams for $750. And you can get a Seaskin trilam made to measure with every option you can think of for just over $1000, shipped from England.

It is past time to replace my 1970s era, Fathom, 7mm farmer john. I think I may have bruised a rib trying to wrangle myself into it on the last dive.

Not ready to make the leap into a drysuit so I am looking for the best possible wet/semi-dry suit that I can afford.

I am cavern certified, looking to take intro to cave in the fall. So far, the 7mm
farmer john has provided plenty of warmth and I do not suffer from feeling cold even after a few hours in 70 degree water.

I have narrowed the possible replacements to the following choices. I would love to hear some input from those who actually own some of these suits as well as all other opinions before I
make the purchase.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Polar M8

NEOTEK 8/7/6

8/7MM Velocity Hooded Semi-Dry Wetsuit | BARE Sports

7mm John Sport Men's Wetsuit | BARE Sports

7MM Step-in Jacket Men's Sport Wetsuit | BARE Sports

I've been VERY happy with the BARE Evoke wetsuit I purchased not long after launch (in fact, I just left my 5mm down in Mexico to use when I dive down there...gives me an excuse to go visit more frequently). I've also had a few customers buy and were very happy with their Evokes and the Velocity. They also make a step up from the Velocity for males...it's called the Reactive. The Velocity and the Reactive now both have Celliant in them. I even have a few Velocity suits in stock in the 5mm. From my experience the 5mm is more like a 7mm. I did a few 2 hour dives on open circuit in Mexico with a thin 2mm hood and felt great while I was diving there about a month ago. Here is a review of my initial experience with the suits if you care to read: Review: BARE Evoke Wetsuit

Last edited:
I've been VERY happy with the BARE Evoke wetsuit I purchased not long after launch (in fact, I just left my 5mm down in Mexico to use when I dive down there...gives me an excuse to go visit more frequently). I've also had a few customers buy and were very happy with their Evokes and the Velocity. They also make a step up from the Velocity for males...it's called the Reactive. The Velocity and the Reactive now both have Celliant in them. I even have a few Velocity suits in stock in the 5mm. From my experience the 5mm is more like a 7mm. I did a few 2 hour dives on open circuit in Mexico with a thin 2mm hood and felt great while I was diving in Mexico about a month ago. Here is a review of my initial experience with the suits if you care to read: Review: BARE Evoke Wetsuit
Hey thanks!!! I will be down at your shop tomorrow morning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom