Timex Ironman Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok I'm going to be a real newbie...you have been warned...

I'm leaving on Thursday to go to Kauai. I'm planning on renting gear to do some safe, beginner shore dives. This will be my first time renting gear, and I realized today that I need a dive watch. I searched the forum here and saw that the Timex Ironman had its fans. I ran out to the store and picked one up. I also saw some reviews on the $6 Walmart watch, but couldn't find it, so I went with the Timex. Here is the kicker, the watch I got is the 100 meter type, and upon returning home realized that people on the forum here were talking about the 200 meter type.

So here is my question, will my Timex Ironman (100m) work ok for my trip? Is there anyone with this watch and likes it? Anyone hate it?

T54242_179.jpg

I'm not planning on diving more then 100 feet, and will probably be sticking around 40-65 foot range. I know this isn't a REAL dive watch, but I just wanted something simple that will work and not cost too much. I've been planning on buying a nicer dive watch, but being a graduate student in college right now causes my wallet pain. Hopefully when I get a full time job I can go ahead and get something better.

FYI I got it at Longs Drug Store for $35

Thanks!

It'll be fine. Have fun diving. If you really want a 200 meter Ironman, I will overnight you mine for $35+shipping:eyebrow: It has been tested to 200+ft.

I think I'll pass...but thanks for the offer.

I think the manual says not to press the buttons underwater, except for the 200M model. :D I use a similar model, but with the 200M rating. It will probably work fine underwater. If it implodes, begin your ascent and you're out $35. :D

I asked Timex about the 100m watch for scuba and Timex told me to take it back to the store and get my money back as it was wholly unsuited for scuba.

I've had my Ironman 100m as deep as 95 fsw and never had a problem with it.

My 100m Ironman had about 75 dives on it when the battery died. Timex is just trying to cover themselves, it should be fine. And as do it easy said, if it fails end your dive and go buy another one.

Timex just only a dive watch, go look for dive computer instead of dive watch

I'm still really new to diving, maybe one day I'll get the computer, but for right now I think a watch is more my speed. But thanks for the info guys, when I get back I'll let you all know how well it works.

Don't push any of the buttons underwater, and it will probably be fine. You'll have to gauge your own risk comfort. It's $35 if it dies, will you be heartbroken?

FWIW, Timex seems to be stepping away from heartier watches a bit, you may have better luck with a 200m Casio G Shock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom