Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyfromToronto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After reading posts here I told my husband that it seems that the tipping for the DM and Captain is $5 a tank. He wanted confirmation that that meant 4 dives/day = $20 x 2 of us. That's over $200 for 5.5 days of diving. Is this correct?

Also on top of this how much are we tipping the waiters and chambermaids? He said that really adds to the AI price we paid. :D

So how much do we need to bring down in US dollars?

Thanks

Tip what you comfortable doing...When I run trips to Roatan and Bonaire I usually recommend 10% of land package,comes out to about $75.-$100. per diver for the dive operation crew..Leave the tip for the dive op crew with manager to distribute to all who worked to insure your vacation success.Its not just the crew you saw during your stay that get the tip this way.The guys who fill the tanks,sweep up the dive area,fill rinse tanks,etc all get some...For maids leave $20.-$30. for the week.Never stayed at Fantasy Island,but if is like CocO view,there are no waiters.Everything was buffet style.
Pay is very low on Roatan, Some people there make $10. per day ,service people there depend on tips to live.

I gave the boat crew tip directly to the skipper and DM. FIBR does serve buffet style but the waiters still bring your drinks and whatever you request; I tipped a little at each meal as you never know which will be working. Same for the maids: a little each day. Many employees of the resort don't get tipped for their work. :idk: I wouldn't want it to become a Value Added Tax.

Divers, whatever you do...PLEASE don't stiff the people who take such great care of you. I agree completely with DD about leaving a little at each meal for the wait staff and each day for the housekeeping staff. I can't believe some of the things I have seen take place at the dive shop. Last week one of the divemasters busted his behind to show a group of 14 a really nice time. He found all kinds of creatures for them and worked as hard as he could to keep them happy. Know what he got for his trouble?
$ 15.00 for the whole week!!! I cannot even believe somebody would be so awful.

No matter where you go or whether or not your package is all-inclusive, you are still responsible for the tips. Check out Fantasy Island's new website and look at the FAQ section for tipping recommendations. Here's the link:

http://fantasyislanddiveresort.com/

Last edited:
Divers, whatever you do...PLEASE don't stiff the people who take such great care of you. I agree completely with DD about leaving a little at each meal for the wait staff and each day for the housekeeping staff. I can't believe some of the things I have seen take place at the dive shop. Last week one of the divemasters busted his behind to show a group of 14 a really nice time. He found all kinds of creatures for them and worked as hard as he could to keep them happy. Know what he got for his trouble?
$ 15.00 for the whole week!!! I cannot even believe somebody would be so awful.

No matter where you go or whether or not your package is all-inclusive, you are still responsible for the tips. Check out Fantasy Island's new website and look at the FAQ section for tipping recommendations. Here's the link:

http://fantasyislandresort.com/

I agree but remember, most nationalities do not tip.

My philosophy is that they need the money a lot more than we do.

$ 15.00 for the whole week!!!
$1.10 per diver for a week?! :eek: Where were they from?

Here's a link to FIBR FAQs - good page. I under tipped my boat crew horribly my first trip, I was new with no one to ask, so was really glad to see the same guys still there on my next trip and lay a $20 on them each on the first day, even tho they no longer worked on boats. I doubt that they remembered me but didn't argue. :D

$100/diver for the boat crew would probly be a good budget.

I tipped $100.00 at the end of the dive week. We did 3-a-day for 4 days. The guys really earned it. Daily they took my gear, soaked it and prepared it for the next day. Did not have to lift a finger. Never had service like that before and really look forward to it again!

I tipped $100.00 at the end of the dive week. We did 3-a-day for 4 days. The guys really earned it. Daily they took my gear, soaked it and prepared it for the next day. Did not have to lift a finger. Never had service like that before and really look forward to it again!
Where? When?

I agree but remember, most nationalities do not tip.

My philosophy is that they need the money a lot more than we do.

I understand your comment about most nationalities not tipping, but I feel it is the responsibility of the diver to research and find out what is expected of them when they travel internationally. That's exactly what we did when we went to Australia, Fiji and the Seychelles. What we learned was that tipping is not practiced there. But guess what happened when we got there? We were pretty embarrased when everybody else divvied up their tip money and we got caught flat! Thankfully it worked out and we had enough extra cash due to the incredibly favorable exchange rate. Regardless, you should always do your homework and be prepared.

I can promise you that the pay rates in Honduras are MINIMAL and these hard working people do rely on tips to help make ends meet. You don't have to spend a fortune, but you should consider what is fair based on the service you receive. The general recommendation is a minimum of $5 per person/per day to both the divemaster and the boat captain, and a donation to the tip box for the rest of the dive shop personnel that keep things running.

Coconut Tree - Roatan and again at Geofish in Playa del Carmen. The guy in Playa actually cleaned all the gear and packed it at the end of the trip. Must be something about living in Paradise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom