Tips: best sun screen, camping in Culebra, PR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm planning a snorkeling trip to Puerto Rico and have a Few questions for your experts. First , what is the best sun screen on earth, considering that we'll spend about 4 full days in the water and that my girlfriend has sensitive screen. We thought about those 60fps sunscreens but there's gotta be something stronger on earth!

Second, does anyone have experience camping in Culebra. we're just seeking advise on safety at Flamenco Beach camping. Is it safe to leave passports and cash in the tent? Is there a place we can store our belongings??

thank you for your help!
Jacques

For sun protection in the water I suggest a lycra full-body suit. Unlike sunscreens, it won't wash off and it never needs to be reapplied. Just make sure it's not too thin, as some of the cheaper suits are made of extremely lightweight lycra. For the best sun protection, look for a suit made of at least 8oz lycra. When you hold it up to the light, you should NOT be able to see right through it.

Throw in a lycra hood and some webbed gloves and you're Aquaman!

don't know about the camping, but we've done fine everywhere we've camped.. but I sure second the lycra suit. some call it a stinger suit as it can help avoid nuisance stings of jellyfish. my wife has one and really likes the fact that she doesn't have to use any sunscreen and plus, you're not adding sunscreen to the ocean. hey, she looks good in it too!

I always use Bullfrog, and have never been burnt when I take care to apply it on all my exposed surfaces. And I sometimes spend 3+ hours in the water when snorkeling. I usually use a suit when I snorkel, which reduces my skin exposure. At a minimum, you should purchase lycra shirts to cover your backs when snorkeling.

I spent 10 days in Culebra in March snorkeling, although I stayed in a hotel. You may be interested in some of the pictures I took:
underwater: Culebra & Vieques Puerto Rico underwater 2008 Photo Gallery by Dave_Clausen at pbase.com
above water: Culebra & Vieques Puerto Rico above water 2008 Photo Gallery by Dave_Clausen at pbase.com

If you go to this Culebra forum, you will probably find all the information you need about the Culebra campground at Flamingo Beach:
The Culebra Forum

This is by far the best site for information about Culebra. The campground looked fairly nice, and Culebra is considered to be a very safe island, but I would worry about leaving valuables in a tent. Also, I believe it's recommended to avoid the campground during Puerto Rican holidays, when it gets crowded and sometimes rowdy. At the Culebra forum, I'm sure you will get feedback from people who have actually camped there.

I started using Soleo this summer and found it worked better than anything else I've ever tried. I apply it before my first dive and appear to remain protected for the entire day since I get no sunburn at all on the protected areas (I do miss a few spots). It does not sting my eyes at all. On top of that it is supposed to be much better for the environment since it is based on natural oils and zinc oxide.

Dave, your pictures are beautiful, I can't wait to go to Culebra. Could you inform me which beaches you visited, and which were the most beautiful one ? thanks for your advice!

Well, I work on a boat year round in south Florida. Sunscreen is good, but the Dermatologist tells me and anyone outside to reapply sunscreen no-matter the SPF every 1.5 to 2 hours. I have developed a skin disorder called something like, "brachial dermititis". Whatever the actual name for it is. It's annoying as ever. It causes my arms, when exposed to the sunlight during the day without protection, to itch, itch, itch. Usually at night, when I'm trying to sleep. No sleep is to be had and any of the topicals either, OTC or by prescrition, seem to rid the itch. So, over the last year I wear an underarmor shirt under my polo. This works, but boy does it hold in the heat.

So, I say get the lycra suit. With the sun as strong as it is in the Caribbean, why push it.

That's my .02.

the best sunscreen ive ever used is Headhunter. It comes in like a stick. Its only really for your face but if your wearing a suit of some sort hopefully your body wont be too bad. I use it surfing and the first time I used it I only put it on my nose and cheeks. When I got out about 4 hours later my face was bright red except for exactly where I had put it so theres no doubt it works. I just apply to my whole face now and sometimes neck, rub it in and im set for the day.

Back
Top Bottom