Tips For A Quick Above Water Shot After Surfacing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would appreciate any tips for taking a quick above the water photo after surfacing or while snorkeling or diving. While recently snorkeling in the Galapagos with a Canon S90/Ikelite housing without a dome port and shooting RAW, I tried unsuccessfully to get some photos of my wife's head (with mask and snorkel) just above the water line with a penguin standing on a rock just above and to the side of her head. I really hated not getting that shot! I could not get the shot fast enough to avoid major water spots and blurring, and was afraid the noise of me spitting on the lens housing would frighten off the penguin. I am in the process of upgrading to a newer camera system, Canon G7X or comparable Sony, and wonder if the newer cameras' faster RAW response would solve the problem, or there is some other basic technique that would be helpful. Thank you for any replies.

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

YW, that's what I do with my gopro when it comes out of the water to remove waterspots. It works for me.

Depends on the size of your dome and tongue.

Do you dive with the wipes?

I see! I'm surprised there's enough on there to work after a dive. I have some of them, I think I might give that a try. One more thing to do before leaving isn't a big deal, and it would be less tongue to edit out of a video.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom