Tips for all going to Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to confirm...is a visa required for US citizens traveling to Egypt?
What is the best way to obtain one? Upon arrival? I saw this link at the US State Dept.'s website to apply online. Is this helpful to do prior to travel?
Yes, US citizens need a visa to enter Egypt.
The good news is that you can get a Visa on Arrival for 30 days at every airport (*).
It's a very smooth process: have 25 USD and your passport(**) at hand, in cash (no credit cards accepted until now), notes on good condition and head to the bank counter with the VISA sign. Even if there is a queue, you will be done before your luggage is on the belt.
There is another option to apply for the visa online and get it sent by email. The only official site is https://visa2egypt.gov.eg (as you found out). All other sites will charge more than 25 USD. The official site is quite clumpsy and there are a lot of reports from people getting their application rejected for unclear reasons. I would not recommend trying as it is not worth the time and the effort.
(*) Note that is you arrive at SSH and do not intend to leave the Sinai, you can get a "Sinai Only" visa which is free.
(**) Valid 6 more months from date of arrival

The good news is that you can get a Visa on Arrival for 30 days at every airport
Been working well for me for the past 25 years.

Then you can decide on which page to put the sticker (visa) whilst waiting in a queue for and hour at passport control 🤣

I just learned that a visa is required for US citizens traveling to Egypt. I searched this thread for "visa" but no hits came up. So, I thought his would be a good thread to start a discussion.

Just to confirm...is a visa required for US citizens traveling to Egypt?
What is the best way to obtain one? Upon arrival? I saw this link at the US State Dept.'s website to apply online. Is this helpful to do prior to travel?
You may use the online version, but it must be asked at least 7 days before departure.

You also may obtain a visa upon arrival at several counters in arrival hall, before customs control (25 usd, to be paid cash, they receive USD / EUR / EGP, if you give more, you'll receive cash back in EGP).

And to be clear, use the bank counter not the touts who walk around shouting "**whatever flight has come in**, get your VISA's here". For example for UK travellers they charge £25 not $25 being the official price at the kiosk. Adds up to quite a lot extra for a family!

Visa is needed for every foreigner citizens, not just the Us ones.
And yes, as a few wrote, there is a possibility now to try the online VISA, but it's pretty error-prone (and this comes up after arriving, when you need to buy a reguler one anyway), so it doesn't worth it.
There is a line for the offline visa, but you have plenty of time while your packages arrive, and there is not any more to do there, so I recommend buy it after you arrive, you only need your passport (and the money) for this, and it takes exactly around 10 seconds to stamp it, so no heavy paper-filling.. :)

It could be 25 USD/GBP/ or 20 euro (let's call it quasi-random...), but I advise giving 25 usd, because he change is usually in the local currency which has little use for us. :)

Visa is needed for every foreigner citizens, not just the Us ones.
Yes, indeed not only for US citizens. For an overview who is elligible for VoA see here under the assumption that this is up to date or here (as mentioned before), or ask your fellow divers on this forum :wink::cool:

Back
Top Bottom