Tips for St. Martin, Anguilla, St. Barths?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tctmd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're planning a sailing trip around the Leeward Islands of the Lesser Antilles next month (July 2014), and I am hoping for some up to date recommendations about people's recent experiences diving there. We'll probably only do a couple dives a day, and are hoping to find some dive shops who are willing to meet our sailboat and do tank fills or exchanges. We are okay guiding/navigating ourselves, unless there are some sites where dive guides are recommended to enhance the experience.

Potential stops for diving include:
-St. Martin, Marigo Bay: Creole Rock?
-Anguilla, Road Bay: Sandy Island or anywhere in particular in the Marine Reserve?
-Anguilla, Crocus Bay: Prickly Pear Cays?
-St. Barth's: Ile Fourchue, anywhere in particular in the Marine Reserve?
-Saba: suggestions?

Any recommendations for dining would be welcome as well!

Thanks. :)

We are diving in SM in mid August. I have not dove there before, but from all reviews here and other on line sites, we chose to go with Octopus.

I think that for some of these places you are not "legally" allowed to dive without a local DM.
You will need to check with the various islands you are considering diving.

When we were in Saba - there were several days that we picked up divers from sail boats because that was the only way they were allowed to dive there "under the law".

I think that for some of these places you are not "legally" allowed to dive without a local DM.
You will need to check with the various islands you are considering diving.

When we were in Saba - there were several days that we picked up divers from sail boats because that was the only way they were allowed to dive there "under the law".

Of your trio only Anguilla, requires this, but there is no real enforcement away from the Road Bay. Even there the Dive shops thought it was a joke, happy to fill our tanks. We did some rendezvous diving there since it was cost effective, (if anything is cost effective in Anguilla with their outrageous entry fees and restrictive anchoring areas) all in it was not worth it for the diving, but if you are there to sightsee the island it is just OK. St Barts has free moorings on many dive sites and free overnight moorings in some popular bays outside of Gustavia Harbor. I've never found the diving on this trio very compelling, way more work, than say BVI where it is easy and yacht-diver friendly.

Saba is quite different, a real dive destination and you will have to dive with a local op. Subsurface pinnacles, clear, deep blue water...YES.

Hi, some infos below :

Potential stops for diving include:
-St. Martin, Marigo Bay: Creole Rock?

there is better places than Creole Rock, I would advise you to be in touch with Octopus Diving located in grand Case, one of the nice mooring of the island.
No need to go through a local operator in St Martin/St Maarten

-Anguilla, Road Bay: Sandy Island or anywhere in particular in the Marine Reserve?
-Anguilla, Crocus Bay: Prickly Pear Cays?

can't help much, sorry, my last dive there was 15 or so years ago, regulations have been changed for sure.

-St. Barth's: Ile Fourchue, anywhere in particular in the Marine Reserve?

Fourchue is nice. Pain de Sucre is better. In general, diving is better than in St Martin/St Maarten to my POV
the most convinient to fill tanks, as they are located right on the dock is La Bulle.
According to the size of your boat, you can go on your own all around the island, you just need to pay a fee (2 euros) at the St Barth's Marine Park

-Saba: suggestions?

No choice, you need to go with a local operator. All of them are on the Saba Tourism Bureau web site.

Any recommendations for dining would be welcome as well!

St Martin and St Barth have so many good restaurants, that you could spend all your time to eat.
A good source for St Barth is this forum.

Have fun

Laurent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom