Tips for staying toasty in the Californian ocean!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

is what I dive. I've been in 49 degrees with only a t-shirt on underneath. Started to get cold after about 20 minutes at depth. I paid less than 400 for my semi-dry so it's a good choice for those of us that don't have the funds for a dry suit. I'm still saving for a drysuit though! :365:

Dive On!

I used to dive in Monterey with a 6mm surfer's one-piece wetsuit. I got cold after 45 minutes, so I started wearing thin neoprene shorts and vest. No problem after that. Layering works above water, and underwater.

I wear a Bare 7mm full suit with a hood, boots and gloves in Monterey and am generally pretty comfy. But yeah, a dry suit would be nice. The Bare is a good suit and fairly reasonably priced if it fits ya.

Motivation had great insight. My trick is park my car, leave it running with the heater on full blast. Suit up, get back in the car for 5-10 minutes until I'm toasty. Then go and dive and try to get in the water as soon as I can. In the summer it really isn't an issue. The water is colder but the sun is out and its nice and warm so you get hot fast on the surface.
If you are cold before you get in the water you aren't going to get any warmer. After a certain amount of time you will get cold in the water and its time to quit the dive and get on the surface. Do not continue diving if you are cold, do not be afraid to call the dive because you are cold, but your buddy still has 1500psi.
For thermal protection, drysuit is the best (which I generally use) After that go for a semi dry, I think they make 9/7/5 or something along those lines that are really toasty. For the price though you might as well get a cheap or used drysuit.
I have a two piece farmer john 7mm that keeps me warm. I got it from a shop getting rid of rental suits for $20, some minor repair and it works well enough to keep me warm when I can't use my drysuit.
Also I don't think you will ever stay "toasty warm" in wetsuit in california, but with the proper gear you can stay fairly warm. I really think your best bet is to pick up a cheaper drysuit. I got a CF200 that had never been used and was a few years old for $650 which is right in the ball park of a really good semi dry. Granted there are a few additional costs associated with it, but if you are paying that much you might as well get the thing that will work the best.

Try Baja CALIFORNIA, say south of La Paz. It's warmer there but still Caleefornyeea.

Dr. Bill

If you insist on diving wet, the solution is Mares Isotherm Ice. This is a one piece suit with a drysuit zipper. It is not a dry suit. The trick to staying warm is to limit the water exchange. I have a friend that dives this suit in Puget Sound and hasn't even considered going dry. I understand that Cressi makes a similar suit. Get the matching boots and gloves. The suit comes with a hood. Be aware that this suit setup will cost as much as an OS Systems or USIA drysuit. I dive a Bare Commercial suit, but if I ever buy another wetsuit, it will be the Isotherm Ice. Bill.

Do what I did,
Buy a 7 mm wetsuit. Gain 20 pounds over the holidays... and whamo you've turned it into a drysuit (just don't try to bend over or get mo2vation to get you to touch the top of your backplate :) )

Tony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom